Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - BWGK on Vinyl
Thread: BWGK on Vinyl
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #76
CUTiger41
I'm Ron F'in Swanson.

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: BWGK on Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamima2fl View Post
I beg to differ, Ryan Adams Gold original pressings were Red & Blue Vinyl with a numbered 1-1000 Gatefold. The reissue is black vinyl... no numbers, not a gatefold. The reissue also sound "tinny" even though it was pressed in 180. I covet my Gold albums and would pay good money for an original pressing... especially with a lower number. If they aren't selling for more, it is b/c the seller won't show or advertise the 1/1000 number or it's lost in the crowd. RA fans will still pay quite a bit for that.
There are 3 variations of Gold on vinyl. The red/blue vinyl was a limited promotional item and only a select few, mainly radio stations, recieved this. This was not an item you could walk into the store and purchase. It was not the original pressing released to the masses, this was the black vinyl. The third is the re-issue of gold from a few years back which was definately not on 180g.

The red/blue vinyl has consistently sells higher since it's limited to 1,000 copies. RA fans, myself included, will definately pay more for the promo release because of its rarity. The original black vinyl would sell in the low $100's before Lost Highway re-issued it. And BTW, the re-issue is terrible in quality. There have been many reports of warped records and such.

Same goes for his first record Heartbreaker. The original Bloodshot issue on Cooking Vinyl would pull in $100's as well. It was re-issued and prices dropped for the original. Hell, they even re-issued a double vinyl 180g limited to 500 copies for $23.99 over a year ago and you can still purchase it from Aural Exploits (http://www.auralexploits.com/product_5138.htm). I don't see people busting down doors to get this release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestat1600 View Post
you are so very wrong....not just collectors also those that know anything about vinyl, re-issues, orginal/1st printings. the main reason why those re-issues dropped in price that much is because so did the quality. lesser price drops will be because something changed, such as inserts, cover, label etc.... although sometimes this to can cause such a price drop or more of one depending on if quality changed.

also thats like saying there is no difference between flac and mp3 and the only people that care if its flac are tapers.
The originals dropped in price even when the re-issue had quality issues (see Gold). By your assertation, the prices of the original would have gone UP due to the poor quality of the re-issue.

So, in that regard, I don't see the average fan giving a shit about the quality of vinyl. They just want the vinyl. Most don't even have a record player and most keep them sealed and framed. They just want the full catalogue. Only collecting completists will want the original issue. Anyways, I'm just basing my opinions on the re-issues of vinyls for 3 artists who have a fairly large collecting following and who's prices have subsequently dropped upon the release of the re-issues.

It's a simple case of supply and demand. Demand currently exceeds supply for BTCS but that will end once they re-issue it.

However, I do hope I'm wrong because I have a pristine copy of BTCS and would hate for it to lose it's value, though I only paid $20 for it.

Last edited by CUTiger41; 03-13-2009 at 11:46 AM.