Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A Game of Thrones (HBO Series) (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=300194)

fonzz41 05-02-2011 02:36 PM

Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO Series)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42graystreet (Post 12540704)
Seeing things like the bolded, is making my anticipation for this series go through the stratosphere. It's killing me not getting the books and diving into the whole series, but I'm gonna resist and just watch first.

:o Sorry about that.

42graystreet 05-02-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 12540706)
:o Sorry about that.

No worries. I just hate waiting :lol

sdkelso 05-02-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayj41 (Post 12538867)
I certainly understand where you're coming from. At the same time, I assume that the show's high quality is a direct correlation of the novels' high quality. They're not mutually exclusive and even without having read them, I give the novels their due credit. George R.R. Martin's direct involvement with the show displays that not only will the show be very accurate but also that he appreciates what the creators are doing. If it earns his stamp of approval, I don't see why it shouldn't earn everyone else's.

In response to your last point, I have been a fan of A Song of Ice and Fire for three weeks now...since the first episode aired. Because of how much I like the show, I am going to go back and read the novels at some point. I suspect that many other people will do the same. That type of exposure is a great thing, and countless people will now take an interest in a literary series that they might not have known anything about beforehand. It's win-win.

Thank you for the only actually intelligent, sensible reply to my post. I'd recommend the books if you're into sensationalism. They're not worth much intellectually, but they are extremely entertaining.

To everyone else: my god.

42graystreet 05-02-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdkelso (Post 12540810)

That's to me I guess. I'm not sure how you wanted me to react to your posts on the previous page. I am loving the series based entirely on HBOs presentation because I had not read, or even known about the books before this. In fact the first time I think I ever stepped into the fantasy section of a book store was probably today, when I bought The Game Of Thrones, (which I'm going to read in tandem while watching the series).

JTRocks 05-02-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the only actually intelligent, sensible reply to my post. I'd recommend the books if you're into sensationalism. They're not worth much intellectually, but they are extremely entertaining.

well, to be fair, you kinda came off like one of those people who loves a band, and then when the band blows up, you're mad at all the people who weren't there with you when the band was first coming up

zajDmB1 05-02-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Maybe if you weren't that guy who says "THE BOOK ARE BETTER AAHHH!!" when nobody was even bashing the books that wouldn't have happened. I don't think one person in this thread or in any thread would ever assume a theatric adaptation of a book would trump the book. It literally never happens. People don't even say the Godfather is necessarily that much better than the book.

zajDmB1 05-02-2011 04:42 PM

But anyway, I'm really digging this show so far. Moving kinda slowly but I'm still enjoying it thoroughly. And it'll be cool to have a more "political" show set in the medieval/fantasy realm instead of just constant butchering if that is what it is.

Sorry, I never read the books. Apologies if this offends anyone.

sdkelso 05-02-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42graystreet (Post 12540896)
That's to me I guess. I'm not sure how you wanted me to react to your posts on the previous page. I am loving the series based entirely on HBOs presentation because I had not read, or even known about the books before this. In fact the first time I think I ever stepped into the fantasy section of a book store was probably today, when I bought The Game Of Thrones, (which I'm going to read in tandem while watching the series).

My tone was not one of being upset or angry at the people who enjoy this show. Good for them. I was simply sharing my opinion on how sometimes an adaptation seems very much like a bandwagon. Hope you enjoy the novel, sir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTRocks (Post 12540933)
well, to be fair, you kinda came off like one of those people who loves a band, and then when the band blows up, you're mad at all the people who weren't there with you when the band was first coming up

My apologies for coming off that way, it was certainly not my intention.

Now back to discussing this [brilliant] television show. [I haven't watched any of it yet.]

RJP2741 05-04-2011 06:15 AM

I love this show.

dre2142 05-04-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdkelso (Post 12536193)
I'd almost guarantee you that the novels are far better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdkelso (Post 12537781)
It just gets on my nerves when people say, "I love this show," as if the story was original.

I didnt realize that one had to have read the books in order to enjoy an adaptation of it on television.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdkelso (Post 12538505)
To me it's like overhearing the conversation:
"All Along the Watchtower is such an amazing song! I love the line "the wind begins to howl."
"You know that's actually a song by Bob Dylan, right?"
"Who?"

It just sounds like the person saying it assumes that the achievement belongs to the person who made the adaptation, whereas that is not the case.

Likewise, it pisses me off when people refer to the Lord of the Rings "trilogy". I just don't understand how someone can be a Song of Ice and Fire fan without having read even one book. Just me I guess.

Thats just weird.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdkelso (Post 12541024)
My tone was not one of being upset or angry at the people who enjoy this show. Good for them. I was simply sharing my opinion on how sometimes an adaptation seems very much like a bandwagon. Hope you enjoy the novel, sir.

My apologies for coming off that way, it was certainly not my intention.

Now back to discussing this [brilliant] television show. [I haven't watched any of it yet.]

To say all of the above, and then to say the bolded.......well.....I dont even know what to say.

Anyways...moving on.

42graystreet 05-04-2011 07:48 AM

plus one

Julia Roberts 05-07-2011 06:30 PM

Just scanning through this thread. I may be one of the few that have read the books but have not (yet) watched an episode. I did get a chuckle out of those saying that they injected swears and boobs to make the show grittier. The truth is they will probably tone down the content from the books. At least the sexual content. I don't think you can legally depict some of the graphic underage sex on any network. I have heard that they have made all the kids older on the show, maybe that will get them around that obstacle. Still, the graphic sex will have to be toned down.

fonzz41 05-09-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia Roberts (Post 12560987)
Just scanning through this thread. I may be one of the few that have read the books but have not (yet) watched an episode. I did get a chuckle out of those saying that they injected swears and boobs to make the show grittier. The truth is they will probably tone down the content from the books. At least the sexual content. I don't think you can legally depict some of the graphic underage sex on any network. I have heard that they have made all the kids older on the show, maybe that will get them around that obstacle. Still, the graphic sex will have to be toned down.

It is definitely toned down from the books.

zajDmB1 05-09-2011 09:27 AM

So are these (based on the books) more of a medieval/fantasy politcal drama or do they get more action packed? I'm still thoroughly enjoying the series so far but I don't think I've ever seen 30 mins, let alone 4 hours, go by without a massive battle or something in this genre haha.

maxpower00044 05-09-2011 09:34 AM

Christ, don't you know these were books first!?!?!? I mean seriously, anyone watching this show and ENJOYS it but haven't read the books, is just DUM. D.U.M, DUM!

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

Sprunkn7 05-09-2011 11:22 AM

I like it. Read the books and enjoying the show lots.

Just enough to hold me over for True Blood Season 4....

water_into_wine 05-09-2011 11:43 AM

This came across my Twitter last night:

BoweKnows Travis Bowe
RT by danieltosh
If you're on the fence, Game of Thrones just had a dude bone a lady in the bathtub as he recited names of dragons.

fonzz41 05-10-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zajDmB1 (Post 12564798)
So are these (based on the books) more of a medieval/fantasy politcal drama or do they get more action packed? I'm still thoroughly enjoying the series so far but I don't think I've ever seen 30 mins, let alone 4 hours, go by without a massive battle or something in this genre haha.

Keep watching! It does seem to drag a bit as they set up the story, but there is plenty of action to go along with the politics and sex.

hbktonyb 05-10-2011 08:08 AM

Never read the books, loving the show so far.

Love that blonde.

smudge1 05-10-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbktonyb (Post 12569045)
Never read the books, loving the show so far.

Love that blonde.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ftbp4eo_9W...iserys-001.jpg

dmbmuskie 05-10-2011 08:14 AM

I really like the show, and I understand that the books are filled with sex, violence, and language. It just seems forced when it happens on the show. I thought the joust scene was the first time it really felt effective.

hbktonyb 05-10-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudge1 (Post 12569052)

Ahhhhhhhh :lol

haybale97 05-10-2011 08:55 AM

What a fantastic episode last night.

Which one of the men on the counsel is unix? Is it the politician from The Wire?

fonzz41 05-10-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haybale97 (Post 12569271)
What a fantastic episode last night.

Which one of the men on the counsel is unix? Is it the politician from The Wire?

I don't watch The Wire, but it's the bald guy.

dreamingtree041 05-11-2011 12:53 PM

I thought this last episode was a little on the slow side...

Beebz 05-15-2011 07:13 PM

Absolutely phenominal episode. And we get to watch episode 7 a week early next week? Fuck and yes.

ProudestAnt 05-15-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beebz (Post 12586734)
Absolutely phenominal episode. And we get to watch episode 7 a week early next week? Fuck and yes.

Wait, what?

Alazais 05-15-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProudestAnt (Post 12587027)
Wait, what?

I agree.. What?

Tonight's episode was superb. This was the first episode where I could vividly recall the sections of the book and had it match my memories of reading the novels almost 10 years ago.

maxpower00044 05-15-2011 10:39 PM

If you go to HBO.Go after next weeks episode (week 6) you get to watch week 7 episode a week early.

fonzz41 05-16-2011 10:20 PM

I know they obviously change things for the TV adaptation, but I don't seem to remember Renly and Tyrell being gay in the books. To those who have read/are reading, did I just miss that?