Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Away From The World (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=307311)

ninjatim33 02-08-2012 08:53 AM

Re: Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album

I think it will either be an album of unreleased songs, which I don't think it will be, or all new songs with maaaaybe 2 previously unreleased ones.

character111 02-08-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumlax15 (Post 13325003)
dmbstream.com

Right, but still - what's the point of listening to mediocre shows instead of good ones? Ants Marching street cred or something? I'm just interested in listening to the good shows out there, not getting in a pissing match to see who has listened to the most shows or suffered through the subpar ones.

DMBzilla 02-08-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by character111 (Post 13324992)
I don't know what's so hard to understand. Those songs are mostly only available on Live Trax albums. I don't buy every Live Trax album. I check out the reviews from other fans who are more familiar with the band's good music before investing in a CD. Most of the band's new material and recently-recorded Live Trax have been considered hit or miss, so I've passed on them. I use the search function and check out the polls and reviews that you all do on here. There are too many good shows available to spend a ton of money on mediocre ones, some people have to decide and can't buy everything the band releases.

dreamingtree.org

character111 02-08-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBzilla (Post 13325036)
dreamingtree.org

Okay, I'm convinced now. Instead of listening to good shows, particularly from the band's peak era, I'm going to download the shows everyone complains about so I too can complain about how they're not as good as they used to be. Instead of listening to shows where they are that good. :thumbsup

Like I said, there are too many good shows available to be chasing down subpar performances just for the sake of saying I heard them.

Funkhouser 02-08-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by character111 (Post 13325035)
Right, but still - what's the point of listening to mediocre shows instead of good ones? Ants Marching street cred or something? I'm just interested in listening to the good shows out there, not getting in a pissing match to see who has listened to the most shows or suffered through the subpar ones.

To hear new songs that haven't been released yet and also hear some great shows.....Ants Marching street cred? calm down over there...

bdj1311 02-08-2012 09:04 AM

I'm just gonna go a head and get this out of the way now, Double album, ftw! 1 old stuff, 1 new stuff. I doubt it will happen, and said it during the lead up to BW, which obviously didn't happen, but since this is all just conjecture I'm throwing it out there.

DMBzilla 02-08-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by character111 (Post 13325058)
Okay, I'm convinced now. Instead of listening to good shows, particularly from the band's peak era, I'm going to download the shows everyone complains about so I too can complain about how they're not as good as they used to be. Instead of listening to shows where they are that good. :thumbsup

Like I said, there are too many good shows available to be chasing down subpar performances just for the sake of saying I heard them.

http://www.dreamingtree.org/details.php?id=8416

Incredible show. Includes Blackjack.

ComeNDnceWithMe 02-08-2012 09:18 AM

OP made A LOT of assumptions. What a stretch ...

tolley 02-08-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by character111 (Post 13325058)

I don't know why you think you have to download a whole show to hear one song? I always check YouTube a day or two after the show and can pick or choose what I want to listen to. I know the quality of the videos usually isn't great (copperpot excluded), but you can get a good enough feel for a song.
Edit: BTW, Blackjack sucks!

Jud78 02-08-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeatFreakGeek (Post 13324854)
at this point in their careers, i don't see DMB bringing in Lillywhite just to produce a bunch of old songs (yes, I know that's what the first two albums were). There's enough other producer-types in DMB's orbit who can produce songs that have been tried and tested.

i still want to know what happened to the studio Sugar Will that was recorded in Vegas, shown on the Big Whisky documentary.

I agree, I don't see Lillywhite coming back after a much publicized end to tLWS and then an even more publicized leak of the work that they had done, to simply record old tunes that the band has played for years.

On the other hand, Dave did mention in an interview (i believe in Italy?) that Coran Capshaw comes to him from time to time and says "hey what about these songs" in reference to songs they had worked on (and in some cases played live) but never made it to an album.

So i think the possibility remains that you could see an old tune or 2...but more than likely, after a year off, the band is more focused on new music, and for the first time with a truely new lineup (i.e. Jeff there to actually help write vs. fill in some parts to finish off BW).

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 09:34 AM

There is one LEGITIMATELY strong counter-argument against those who think that it is an album full of new songs: It is highly unlikely that DMB wrote and recorded a full album of new material in 5 weeks. While it could happen, it is very unlikely at this point in time. The fact that Rashawn said that the horn sections are finished and recorded right now is a major red flag.

DMB likes writing songs together these days. Can you honestly tell me that you see Dave writing multiple DMB songs alone in his house, and then telling the rest of the guys that this is the song and this is your part? The band likes to write together, and they like to write in studio. Their songs have too many parts for it to just be Dave alone unless he's writing simple solo songs like Sweet, Sister, etc.

Balor3012 02-08-2012 09:38 AM

So many good shows have Crazy Easy, Good Good Time, Joyride etc.

dontdrink36 02-08-2012 09:38 AM

I think the album will end up being a mix of both 4-6 old tunes reworked and 4-6 new ones. I just hope the new ones are good and that Crazy Easy is one of the old ones!

Sniper15 02-08-2012 09:39 AM

I think it will be all new songs.

sheldonlevene 02-08-2012 09:43 AM

No one is asserting that Dave wrote everyone's parts at home. But the way they used to write (from my limited knowledge) could still hold. He writes guitar and lyrics and presents ideas to the band to either scrap or work on.

I still don't think this is going to be essentially a B-sides album.

Utopia 02-08-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBzilla (Post 13325118)
http://www.dreamingtree.org/details.php?id=8416

Incredible show. Includes Blackjack.

What a show. That's probably my favorite experience as a DMB fan, and I've seen some particularly amazing things.

jaymas9 02-08-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBzilla (Post 13324921)
It's important to remember that Dave had a ton of time off in 2011. He commented at Randall's that they hoped to be back with new songs in 2012, so it's certainly reasonable to assume that a good portion of that time involved writing music. Once Lillywhite got back into the picture (probably sometime around November if the D&T show in NYC was a sort of jumping off point for their reunion), I'm sure Dave went into writing mode so he could enter the studio in January with some new ideas ready to go.

I would be very surprised if there aren't any previously road tested songs on the new record (I'd put Shotgun and Blackjack as front runners), but I'm sure we'll get a handful of new tunes as well. That said, if the album looked something like this:

1. Intro
2. Crazy Easy
3. New Song
4. New Song
5. Sweet Up & Down
6. Sugar Will
7. New Song
8. New Song
9. Shotgun
10. New Song
11. New Song
12. Blackjack

...I'd have no problem with it.

Even though I'm usually a fan of all new music, especially with a producer like Lillywhite...I would sign on for this album, because I like and/or see the potential with all those already figured out tracks, and I have great faith in new material with Steve Lillywhite at the helm.

ajk316 02-08-2012 09:52 AM

There are some songs I would prefer to just keep live... Some of these songs are special because you can only hear them live and its special to hear that song live and to know it is not played every show to promote the new album. Especially when they start playing a song you never thought you would ever hear.

Luv4Roi 02-08-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbfan4ever (Post 13324697)
None of this was convincing.

This. :lol

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheldonlevene (Post 13325240)
No one is asserting that Dave wrote everyone's parts at home. But the way they used to write (from my limited knowledge) could still hold. He writes guitar and lyrics and presents ideas to the band to either scrap or work on.

I still don't think this is going to be essentially a B-sides album.

Ok, so let's say that Dave hypothetically wrote songs on his own last year and then the band gets together in early January. You really think that they would have enough time to feel 110% confident that they played, experimented with, honed, and perfected all of those songs, and recorded final tracking of the horns, in just 5 weeks? It appears that Stefan hasn't even been in the studio every day, based on his Twitter.

This is a band that took 3+ (?) studio sessions to write and record the final material for their last album. This is a band that is well aware that the songs they write will grow and adapt over time. It seems naive to make the assumption that they would be content with an album of new songs at this point in the game, and be ready to almost call it final. ESPECIALLY with Lillywhite's history of "pushing" the band to achieve greatness and not accept mediocre results.

Let's look at the flip side, too. Let's say it is all new songs. Are you assured that they are quality songs, knowing that the horn lines were recorded in 6 hours? Listen to BTCS and Lillywhite Sessions and UTTAD again. While yes, you could physically record those parts in 6 hours time, they are perfected, and perfection requires more than 6 hours. ESPECIALLY if you are working with songs that you haven't been familiar with for years.

MinaretMarching 02-08-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegeevore (Post 13324355)
I have come to realize that there are now TONS of indications pointing toward the possibility that the new album is an album of unreleased songs in the DMB catalog. I think it would be interesting if we compiled a list of all of these tips and hints that could support this theory, looking back from this point in time. I definitely think topic of discussion warrants a new thread. Hear me out.

Allow me to start with some of the things that come to my mind (please correct me if any of these are factually incorrect):

* It is widely understood that the band did not enter the studio before January 2012. Based on the recent past, the preferred writing environment for DMB has been as a group in the studio (versus Dave writing entire DMB songs on his own in his house). Thus, it appears to be a safe assumption that very little new material was written before January 2012.

* Rashawn's new video indicates that ALL of the horn parts have been recorded, are finished, and were laid down in just 6 hours. The band entered the studio around 5 weeks ago. If we assume that they didn't write much material before January 2012, that gives them 5 weeks to be very far in the writing and recording process. Compare that to the Big Whiskey sessions, which lasted over multiple years. (video link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3294899781819)

* Stefan and Lillywhite's activity on Twitter seem to indicate that the full band is not grinding it out 24/7 in the studio every day. Stefan seems to be out and about in the Seattle area quite a bit, and Lillywhite posted "no band in today... just me and the new tunes !!" on Jan 28. This jives with what Rashwan indicated in the video regarding the horn parts already being done.

* At this stage in their careers, DMB members are likely not going to want to put out subpar work. More so, Steve Lillywhite is not going to want to put out subpar work. This is not going to be another Everday, where it was recorded in half an hour, or something of the likes. It seems unlikely that they would write and record an entire album's worth of new material in such a short amount of time, given these points. However, recording an entire album's worth of new material in 5 weeks for a quality album sounds about right if you already have the songs written.

* At the end of the 2011 NYC Caravan, Dave commented that there will be new music next year. While Dave's words shouldn't be taken too literally because he is Dave, this does imply that he was expecting to return to play new material in the 2012 album year. While this could mean a lot of things, it does support the theory that an album would be released before the 2012 summer tour. It is impossible to release an album unless it has been recorded in full several months in advance.

* DMB is at a point in time where they have accumulated a great deal of quality unreleased songs. It would make sense at this point in their careers to release an album consisting of such songs. They have a wide selection to choose from. Why not bring back a quality producer and make a good album out of their written work? DMB also knows which of those songs are loved and more well received than others.

* DMB has toyed with and unearthed many of these unreleased songs in 2010 and in 2011. Think about it...Sugar Will, Idea Of You, Joyride, Kill The King, Break Free, Shotgun, Good Good Time, Sweet Up And Down, etc. were all played in 2010 and 2011. Even Granny received a ton of plays in 2012, relatively speaking.

Anybody else got anything to add to that to fuel this theory?

I think you make a lot of valid points. While there may be some "old" songs on the new album, just going by "the facts" and what Dave and Steve said...

Lillywhite posted "no band in today... just me and the new tunes !!" on Jan 28

and

* At the end of the 2011 NYC Caravan, Dave commented that there will be new music next year.

Instead of going by what I think or what my opinion is....By going off of those two very specific quotes, "new" is the operable word. Dave wrote 'Sweet' over the break and while that song gets mixed reviews, it shows he's writing.

sheldonlevene 02-08-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaretMarching (Post 13325327)
I think you make a lot of valid points. While there may be some "old" songs on the new album, just going by "the facts" and what Dave and Steve said...

Lillywhite posted "no band in today... just me and the new tunes !!" on Jan 28

and

* At the end of the 2011 NYC Caravan, Dave commented that there will be new music next year.

Instead of going by what I think or what my opinion is....By going off of those two very specific quotes, "new" is the operable word. Dave wrote 'Sweet' over the break and while that song gets mixed reviews, it shows he's writing.

Fonz also tweeted something cryptic about new songs just yesterday...maybe the day before.

MinaretMarching 02-08-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheldonlevene (Post 13325346)
Fonz also tweeted something cryptic about new songs just yesterday...maybe the day before.

Oh yeah, that's right. You prompted me to look for it...here it is...

SLessard Stefan Lessard

Imagine yourself dancing to something new and something beautiful

7 Feb

So yeah, going by those 3 things, 'new' seems to be where the album is headed. And I'm not partisan either, I will be happy with the finished product, whether it be old or new songs. Hit me with a combo.

rantingthespian 02-08-2012 10:31 AM

To me, this sounds like Busted Stuff: Mark II. Only this time Lillywhite is producing it, not Harris. Busted Stuff was completed fairly quickly because they had already worked out most of the tunes in the studio and on the road.

I would suspect that if this album is just unreleased songs finally finished, and it goes well with Lillywhite, then a new album with new material with Lillywhite is very plausible.

But, Busted Stuff did have 2 new songs on it. So, it could work out like that. We could have an album of mostly unreleased songs with a couple new tunes thrown in.

If it does turns out to be Busted Stuff: Mark II with Lillywhite, I still will be giddy as school girl who drank a 2 liter of Mountain Dew.

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rantingthespian (Post 13325422)
To me, this sounds like Busted Stuff: Mark II. Only this time Lillywhite is producing it, not Harris. Busted Stuff was completed fairly quickly because they had already worked out most of the tunes in the studio and on the road.

I would suspect that if this album is just unreleased songs finally finished, and it goes well with Lillywhite, then a new album with new material with Lillywhite is very plausible.

But, Busted Stuff did have 2 new songs on it. So, it could work out like that. We could have an album of mostly unreleased songs with a couple new tunes thrown in.

If it does turns out to be Busted Stuff: Mark II with Lillywhite, I still will be giddy as school girl who drank a 2 liter of Mountain Dew.

This is probably the best assumption right now.

MinaretMarching 02-08-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntzDigger7 (Post 13325438)
This is probably the best assumption right now.

Fuck, really? I kinda want new material. I DO want new material.

ninjatim33 02-08-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntzDigger7 (Post 13325196)
There is one LEGITIMATELY strong counter-argument against those who think that it is an album full of new songs: It is highly unlikely that DMB wrote and recorded a full album of new material in 5 weeks. While it could happen, it is very unlikely at this point in time. The fact that Rashawn said that the horn sections are finished and recorded right now is a major red flag.

DMB likes writing songs together these days. Can you honestly tell me that you see Dave writing multiple DMB songs alone in his house, and then telling the rest of the guys that this is the song and this is your part? The band likes to write together, and they like to write in studio. Their songs have too many parts for it to just be Dave alone unless he's writing simple solo songs like Sweet, Sister, etc.

Because they didn't have annnny free time in 2011 to write any new music....

pmbdmb 02-08-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaretMarching (Post 13325403)
Oh yeah, that's right. You prompted me to look for it...here it is...

SLessard Stefan Lessard

Imagine yourself dancing to something new and something beautiful

7 Feb

How do you know that has any relevance to what they're doing in the studio? People really jump to conclusions around here.

spoot388 02-08-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmbdmb (Post 13325513)
How do you know that has any relevance to what they're doing in the studio? People really jump to conclusions around here.

prove that it doesn't.

it works both ways.

MinaretMarching 02-08-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 13325531)
prove that it doesn't.

it works both ways.

That it does. Hopefully, in favor of our cause.