Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Podcasts (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=321326)

berman1125 02-06-2013 07:44 AM

Podcasts

I just got a cushy office job, and I have 9 hours a day to kill in front of a computer. Looking to get into some great podcasts, what are some of the podcasts that you guys like to listen to? any cool websites with a bunch of podcasts?

water_into_wine 02-06-2013 07:53 AM

Re: Podcasts

Av Club has a good run down of a lot of them and streams them as well. I listen to a ton. Here are mine (Top are my faves):

Comedy Bang Bang
This American Life
NPR Fresh Air
Improv 4 Humans
Stuff To Blow Your Mind
The Moth
WTF With Marc Maron
The Thrilling Adventure Hour
NPR Planet Money
StarTalk Radio with Neil deGrasse Tyson
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me
The Economist
Bob & Brian in the Morning
Freakanomics
Moyers & Company
The World Next Week (Council of Foreign Relations)
Stuff You Missed in History Class
Council of Foreign Relations Events

I think that's all of mine. Highly recommend those first three above all else. Comedy Bang Bang takes a few episodes to get the inside jokes, but it is the best.

RJP2741 02-06-2013 08:12 AM

BS Report
Grantland Network
Adam Carolla
Doug Loves Movies
WTF with Marc Maron

DIDriveOut2SPAC 02-06-2013 08:23 AM

Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast
Comedy Bang Bang with Scott Aukerman
Pod F Tomkast
Call Chelsea Perreti
WTF with Marc Maron
Bowery Boys

DIDriveOut2SPAC 02-06-2013 08:28 AM

Comedy Bang Bang is such an hilarious format, once you learn all the characters history, its get infinitely more funny. Paul F Tompkins is amazing in that show, as is nick kroll.

Cookarico! Cookarico!

umphucked88 02-06-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC (Post 14347984)
Comedy Bang Bang is such an hilarious format, once you learn all the characters history, its get infinitely more funny. Paul F Tompkins is amazing in that show, as is nick kroll.

Cookarico! Cookarico!

:thumbsup:thumbsup If you don't listen to the Pod F. Tompkast you should. It's the characters that PFT uses on Comedy Bang Bang and others and it's hilarious.

WTF
Comedy Bang Bang
Doug Loves Movies
This American Life
Mental Illness Happy Hour
This Feels Terrible
Dining With Doug and Karen
You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes
Harmontown
How Did This Get Made?
Analyzing Phish/Fish
Sklarboro Country
His and Hers Podcast
The Evening Jones
Hollywood Prospectus
Call Chelsea Peretti
Who Charted
By The Way: In Conversation with Jeff Garlin
The Duncan Trussell Family Hour
The Nerdist
The Todd Glass Show

I listen to podcasts more than I do music these days.

DIDriveOut2SPAC 02-06-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umphucked88 (Post 14347998)
:thumbsup:thumbsup If you don't listen to the Pod F. Tompkast you should. It's the characters that PFT uses on Comedy Bang Bang and others and it's hilarious.

WTF
Comedy Bang Bang
Doug Loves Movies
This American Life
Mental Illness Happy Hour
This Feels Terrible
Dining With Doug and Karen
You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes
Harmontown
How Did This Get Made?
Analyzing Phish/Fish
Sklarboro Country
His and Hers Podcast
The Evening Jones
Hollywood Prospectus
Call Chelsea Peretti
Who Charted
By The Way: In Conversation with Jeff Garlin
The Duncan Trussell Family Hour
The Nerdist
The Todd Glass Show

I listen to podcasts more than I do music these days.

Yea, its in my list above :lol

skippdogg 02-06-2013 08:45 AM

The Adam Carolla app is great. Dr. Drew and Adam just started doing a 3 day a week podcast and its gold.

umphucked88 02-06-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC (Post 14348011)
Yea, its in my list above :lol

That's what I get for only partially reading.

PS: What's Bowery Boys? I've never heard of that podcast before.

DIDriveOut2SPAC 02-06-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umphucked88 (Post 14348029)
That's what I get for only partially reading.

PS: What's Bowery Boys? I've never heard of that podcast before.

My one non comedy podcast, they do history tidbits on all parts of new york city, i get really into it.

water_into_wine 02-06-2013 09:06 AM

Womp it up!

Jessica St. Clair is my favorite guest simply for that character. Tompkins owns. Adomian is right behind him.

If you're looking to get into Comedy Bang Bang, look to the Best of 2012 episodes. Also they're doing videocasts now. Check out the video Podcast Network to see two of the more recent episodes. The Jon Daly's Bill Cosby-Bukowski is a must watch just to see how crazy he looks.

I just subscribed to Paul F. Tompkast, but those come out few and far between, so I'm hoping to dive into the old episodes soon. Forgot I listen to Harmontown as well, but when he is on tour and releasing every show I decided not to listen. His podcasts get too long (even when put on double speed), but I can listen to them weekly. When he would release one a day I just said "Fuck this".

Oh yeah, I listen to Jeff Garlin's new podcast as well even though he is super annoying, he does have some great guests. I'm sure I'll skip some guests that I have never heardabout, like I sometimes do for Maron.

Looking at the above list I totally forgot "How Did This Get Made?" Mantzoukas is the best, and it is a hilarious listen for movie fans. Not a huge fan of Benson's podcast unless he has a great line-up.

water_into_wine 02-06-2013 09:14 AM

Ted Talk podcasts are good too

DIDriveOut2SPAC 02-06-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by water_into_wine (Post 14348052)
Womp it up!

Jessica St. Clair is my favorite guest simply for that character. Tompkins owns. Adomian is right behind him.

If you're looking to get into Comedy Bang Bang, look to the Best of 2012 episodes. Also they're doing videocasts now. Check out the video Podcast Network to see two of the more recent episodes. The Jon Daly's Bill Cosby-Bukowski is a must watch just to see how crazy he looks.

I just subscribed to Paul F. Tompkast, but those come out few and far between, so I'm hoping to dive into the old episodes soon. Forgot I listen to Harmontown as well, but when he is on tour and releasing every show I decided not to listen. His podcasts get too long (even when put on double speed), but I can listen to them weekly. When he would release one a day I just said "Fuck this".

Oh yeah, I listen to Jeff Garlin's new podcast as well even though he is super annoying, he does have some great guests. I'm sure I'll skip some guests that I have never heardabout, like I sometimes do for Maron.

Looking at the above list I totally forgot "How Did This Get Made?" Mantzoukas is the best, and it is a hilarious listen for movie fans. Not a huge fan of Benson's podcast unless he has a great line-up.

Haha did you listen to Wompler's own podcast with Mrs. Lisler/Gutterballs around the holidays? That pair is your right, probably the best.

Also, listen to Tomkast oldest to newest, as it has a story line.

ricky towel 02-06-2013 10:01 AM

Mohr Stories is my favorite.

The Crab Feast is also pretty good.

Hilly 02-06-2013 10:06 AM

www.bigoanddukes.com

Two new shows up today

water_into_wine 02-06-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC (Post 14348110)
Haha did you listen to Wompler's own podcast with Mrs. Lisler/Gutterballs around the holidays? That pair is your right, probably the best.

Also, listen to Tomkast oldest to newest, as it has a story line.

Yeah that's why I haven't dived into Tomkast completely yet.

The Holiday Womp It Up special was so good.

The episode with Wompler/Rust/Jerrod Carmichael is probably my favorite from last year and maybe the first where the shows completely clicked for me (I had only just started listening a few weeks before).

TheLastStop123 02-06-2013 10:27 AM

I'd kill to be able to listen to podcasts at work. I don't have my own office :(

DIDriveOut2SPAC 02-06-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 (Post 14348273)
I'd kill to be able to listen to podcasts at work. I don't have my own office :(

headphones

Beefsteak1138 02-06-2013 12:14 PM

Freakonomics
Planet Money
TED Radio Hour
The Adam Savage Project
Lifehacker
The Star Wars Report

TheLastStop123 02-06-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC (Post 14348684)
headphones

my office is in viewing site of my supervisors..as is my computer screen. Can't really wear headphones at work cause I'm supposed to be on the phone a lot :(

Beefsteak1138 02-06-2013 12:30 PM

Get a headset for your phone, only plug it into your computer instead. Problem solved.

berman1125 02-06-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC (Post 14347984)

Cookarico! Cookarico!

i just started with it at work today....people were looking at me weird as i was cracking up in my cubicle

berman1125 02-06-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 (Post 14348273)

i am lucky enough to be able to listen, the encourage music listening at work

berman1125 02-06-2013 07:49 PM

should i be going all the way back to the beginning for comedy bang bang?

DIDriveOut2SPAC 02-06-2013 07:52 PM

they arent chronological but thats what i did, I did the best ofs in order, maximum lols that will set you up for current listening.

one of my fav skits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHIegpSmIyw

beefandbean22 02-06-2013 07:58 PM

The podcasts I listen to regularly:

Doug Loves Movies
The Nerdist
The BS Report
Screen Rant Underground
You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes
Grantland Network (really a bunch of different podcasts)
Comedy Film Nerds
How Did This Get Made?

Also listen to Breaking Bad's Insider podcast when the show is airing

DIDriveOut2SPAC 02-06-2013 08:16 PM

Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast needs more love. One of the funniest narratives ever, esp if you like sports/betting.

umphucked88 02-06-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berman1125 (Post 14349670)
should i be going all the way back to the beginning for comedy bang bang?

there are certain things that some of the regulars (Paul F. Tompkins, James Adomian... those are the only two I can think of) on the show have recurring characters and they have stories that are developed on each episode they're on, so if you're that interested, you might want to start from the beginning. Plus, it's cool to see the evolution of the show. I'm a nerd.

water_into_wine 02-06-2013 08:45 PM

Not necessary to start from the beginning, especially because there are so many. I'd do what I'm doing know, which is subscribing (and thus getting them bi-weekly at the moment) and seeing if you like the show and getting used to the format. Then when you have time go back to the beginning. You'll never be completely lost in any given episode, but you will miss some inside jokes. Aukerman is one of the best hosts and almost directs the chaos, so whenever there is a major callback he'll suually give a quick aside to explain that it happened previously.

Also the show kinda blew for the first few episodes as it didn't really know what it was at the time.

water_into_wine 02-06-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC (Post 14349685)
they arent chronological but thats what i did, I did the best ofs in order, maximum lols that will set you up for current listening.

one of my fav skits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHIegpSmIyw

If this doesn't get you laughing you are the worst person.