Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Away From The World (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=307311)

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 11:17 AM

Re: Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatim33 (Post 13325491)
Because they didn't have annnny free time in 2011 to write any new music....

Factually speaking, when is the last time the band wrote a significant chunk of new material and ants didn't know about it when it was happening? I'm still confused on this...I know it's been a while.

rantingthespian 02-08-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaretMarching (Post 13325445)
Fuck, really? I kinda want new material. I DO want new material.

If you read what I posted, I pointed out that Busted Stuff had 2 new tunes on it. So, if it's like that, this album could have some new songs as well as old ones on it.

I think people are being a little greedy here as well. We should just be thankful that they are in the studio, and that they are with Lillywhite.

Also, from Lillywhite's latest 2 twitter pics (A shot of the Space Needle and a guitar pick with a Firedancer on it), that should put to rest any doubt against that they are working in the studio together.

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rantingthespian (Post 13325732)
If you read what I posted, I pointed out that Busted Stuff had 2 new tunes on it. So, if it's like that, this album could have some new songs as well as old ones on it.

I think people are being a little greedy here as well. We should just be thankful that they are in the studio, and that they are with Lillywhite.

Also, from Lillywhite's latest 2 twitter pics (A shot of the Space Needle and a guitar pick with a Firedancer on it), that should put to rest any doubt against that they are working in the studio together.

If the album is released in 2012, then I am down for it to be existing songs. That is rapidly fast turnover for DMB. Here's the pros/cons:

Album of existing songs:
* We could get a new album by summer 2012! +
* It's songs we already know, so not many surprises -
* It could be a really quality album +
* We could finally get a tour with lots of rarish unreleased songs we like in the rotation +

Album of new songs:
* If it's good, it probably wouldn't be ready until next year at the earliest. -
* It could be even another year, knowing this band. -
* It's new material +
* The quality of the new songs is more of a question mark.

dmb417 02-08-2012 12:41 PM

EDIT: Sorry for the post, wrong click haha

SpotlightEyes 02-08-2012 12:55 PM

Right now my feelings are this:

1. I find it very unlikely that this album will consist exclusively of brand new material.

2. I find it very unlikely that this album will consist exclusively of new recordings of the unreleased stuff from years past.

Its going to be a mixture of the two. Maybe 4 or 5 brand new songs, and 5 or 6 unreleased songs, all blended together into one great album.

dmb417 02-08-2012 12:59 PM

And what if Rashawn was just full of shit? ;)

evdawg8 02-08-2012 01:04 PM

With the amount of press work, promotional material, tv deals for advertising, sports deals and such I doubt this album will be out until the fall. Or later i'd love a October release then a fall tour.

rantingthespian 02-08-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evdawg8 (Post 13325966)
With the amount of press work, promotional material, tv deals for advertising, sports deals and such I doubt this album will be out until the fall. Or later i'd love a October release then a fall tour.

They recorded and released Busted Stuff without taking too much time.

Dankguitar 02-08-2012 01:36 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that Dave worked his ass off over the past year or so writing new tunes? Am I just being overly hopeful?

sheldonlevene 02-08-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 13326061)
Am I the only one who thinks that Dave worked his ass off over the past year or so writing new tunes? Am I just being overly hopeful?

Impossible. This is a B-sides/unreleased album. Why can't you understand?

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 13326061)

I think you are being overly hopeful, but it is true that nobody really knows. Dave has tended toward the lazy side lately, so if one were to make a guess, it would make sense to guess that he was not working his ass off writing new songs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpotlightEyes (Post 13325935)
Right now my feelings are this:

1. I find it very unlikely that this album will consist exclusively of brand new material.

2. I find it very unlikely that this album will consist exclusively of new recordings of the unreleased stuff from years past.

Its going to be a mixture of the two. Maybe 4 or 5 brand new songs, and 5 or 6 unreleased songs, all blended together into one great album.

:thumbsup

evino526 02-08-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheldonlevene (Post 13326070)
Impossible. This is a B-sides/unreleased album. Why can't you understand?

You can't say that with absolute certainty. It's all theories at this point...nothing is 'impossible'.

Lynchmobb41 02-08-2012 01:54 PM

I'm think it's going to be songs that maybe they started in the studio, but never were finished. Revisited! Songs you may not have ever heard.

SBC Soundcheck
Gas Into Fire
African Funk song in the Stand Up Videos

I remember seeing an interview where Dave said that they soundchecked a song that no one ever heard and they nailed it. Then he goes on to say that it was a wonderful song but no one may ever hear it.

The point is they have so much material and not to mention probably a lot of takes of Roi. I don't think they would make an album without his recordings, leading me to believe that this will include unreleased songs. Just my 2 cents.

sheldonlevene 02-08-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evino526 (Post 13326097)
You can't say that with absolute certainty. It's all theories at this point...nothing is 'impossible'.

I agree. I was being facetious.

Dankguitar 02-08-2012 02:07 PM

Let's also consider that when you have a year off with only the few shows that the band actually played, you don't have to "work your ass off" to write an album's worth of songs in a year. That is a shit ton of free time. I know he was using the time to be with his family but I just have a feeling he did a lot of writing. Dave hasn't had that kind of free time to write music on his own maybe ever in the band's 20 years

sheldonlevene 02-08-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 13326163)
Let's also consider that when you have a year off with only the few shows that the band actually played, you don't have to "work your ass off" to write an album's worth of songs in a year. That is a shit ton of free time. I know he was using the time to be with his family but I just have a feeling he did a lot of writing. Dave hasn't had that kind of free time to write music on his own maybe ever in the band's 20 years

:thumbsup

Dave "worked" 28 days last year. Meaning shows. Counting Dave Solo, D&T, and the band.

ramiro24 02-08-2012 02:43 PM

didnt rashawn say when they were gonna go into the studio they had stuff worked up a little bit as far as ideas during the gorge caravan? ...so they have to have some new stuff...

chyeachyea552 02-08-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynchmobb41 (Post 13326114)
The point is they have so much material and not to mention probably a lot of takes of Roi. I don't think they would make an album without his recordings, leading me to believe that this will include unreleased songs. Just my 2 cents.

I don't believe this. Big Whiskey was his send off. They used his parts, the Grux intro and #35 outro. Starting and ending with roi. They're moving on and leaving roi in his glory. Why take cuts of roi that never made an album and try to work songs out of them? This band is extremely talented and creative. They're going to move on and do what sounds good not try to form around Leroi for the rest of their careers.

BWATGK was a good way to put roi to rest. I don't think they're going to live their career as a band in the past. They're going to remember roi for who he was and what he did, not pretend he's still there.

Lynchmobb41 02-08-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chyeachyea552 (Post 13326288)
I don't believe this. Big Whiskey was his send off. They used his parts, the Grux intro and #35 outro. Starting and ending with roi. They're moving on and leaving roi in his glory. Why take cuts of roi that never made an album and try to work songs out of them? This band is extremely talented and creative. They're going to move on and do what sounds good not try to form around Leroi for the rest of their careers.

BWATGK was a good way to put roi to rest. I don't think they're going to live their career as a band in the past. They're going to remember roi for who he was and what he did, not pretend he's still there.

Good point, but like I said...Just my 2 cents;)

jaymas9 02-08-2012 03:07 PM

Anyone who actually thinks they brought Lillywhite in for a B-sides album is out of their fucking mind. Maybe there's a few songs at most that we've heard before and were finished/tinkered with. But there is no doubt the majority of this album is going to be new material. Anyone who thinks because Rashawn tracked in 6 hours means it's all old stuff, just doesn't get the recording process very well. The guy is an accomplished musician, and session playing is probably second nature to him. If they had a creative burst and wrote/brainstormed for 3 weeks, and then he layed down the parts he wrote in quality takes, then yes, it absolutely could take 6 hours.

Norman Smiley 02-08-2012 03:14 PM

My first thought was that it would be old stuff as soon as I saw that Rashawn video.

However, while a large amount of BTCS was written in studio, most of Crash and UTTAD were written and then Stevie came in and completed them.

Crash only took 3 months in studio and that was over Christmas.

Norman Smiley 02-08-2012 03:15 PM

How long did the Lillywhite sessions take to write?

Pretty sure that Rashawn being done does not mean the album is anywhere near final production.

chyeachyea552 02-08-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynchmobb41 (Post 13326291)
Good point, but like I said...Just my 2 cents;)

Oh I know, me too. I've just thought about the idea a lot and you brought up a point so your post was a good way for me to put my .02 in too. :thumbsup

Sniper15 02-08-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 13326163)

This dude is the smartest person in this thread. I think Dave brought a bunch of completed songs into the studio which is why it isn't taking long to record this album. The band probably didn't have to do a ton of jamming and songwriting like they did for Big Whiskey which accelerates the recording process. The people who think this is "definitely a b-sides album" are fucking morons. If the band wanted to release a b-sides album they would just release all of the b-side tracks they recorded in the past and never released. Why the fuck would they record a new studio version of SUAD when they already have a shitload of takes they recorded in the past that they could release? Why come together to record old songs that you already have multiple recordings of? Bands don't spend months in a studio recording b-side albums. This is going to be an album of new material.

rickyh24 02-08-2012 03:20 PM

I dread blackjack being on this album.

UCFish 02-08-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 13326324)

would u get mad? :D

smudge1 02-08-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 13326324)

It will be on the album and constant rotation at all shows.

Dankguitar 02-08-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper15 (Post 13326317)
This dude is the smartest person in this thread. I think Dave brought a bunch of completed songs into the studio which is why it isn't taking long to record this album. The band probably didn't have to do a ton of jamming and songwriting like they did for Big Whiskey which accelerates the recording process. The people who think this is "definitely a b-sides album" are fucking morons. If the band wanted to release a b-sides album they would just release all of the b-side tracks they recorded in the past and never released. Why the fuck would they record a new studio version of SUAD when they already have a shitload of takes they recorded in the past that they could release? Why come together to record old songs that you already have multiple recordings of? Bands don't spend months in a studio recording b-side albums. This is going to be an album of new material.

Thank you for agreeing. It's pretty clear that this band has never been great with writing material while on the road. With such an exhaustive schedule and spending so much time on tour buses it's gotta be a terrible environment for creating music. Dave has had peace and quiet and I truly am expecting some of his best work in a long time because FOR ONCE, he gave himself a break and the alone time to do so. Let me also add that we all realize that the band hates the studio. I am pretty sure that's nearly a fact. Think about how much pressure there is when you are in a room full of people and have to write songs from scratch? I realize a lot of bands do this but I just think it sounds like a really forced process. I really think think it forces songs to get completed way too quickly. Just because most of the members of DMB are incredibly talented musically does not mean that putting all of their minds together will make a better product. Let Dave do the writing and let the rest of the band come in and add their fills and tweaks to the songs that take them to a whole new level. Let's hope that that's what they've done this time

rickyh24 02-08-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudge1 (Post 13326374)
It will be on the album and constant rotation at all shows.

You are 50 percent right already.

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper15 (Post 13326317)

to the first bolded: way to act like a jackass yourself

to the second bolded: it has been done in this band's past multiple times.

to the third bolded: exactly, but they might spend 6 weeks in a studio recording b-side albums.

a wise man once said you were a jackass.