Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Would you buy a house someone died in? (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=338056)

bradshaw06 09-18-2015 05:28 AM

Would you buy a house someone died in?

My fiance and I have been looking at houses. About a month ago we found one we really liked. Unfortunately, before we could make an offer it already went to sale. Yesterday that house came back on the market, the buyers backed out. We found out from our realtor that someone died in the house, apparently of a drug overdose. I am now on the fence about it. So the question is, would you buy a house someone died in? Does it matter the circumstance of death?

drop2d 09-18-2015 05:34 AM

Re: Would you buy a house someone died in?

I'm sure most of us who have bought a house that has been lived in previously, it has also been died in. I just don't want to know about it.

Funkhouser 09-18-2015 05:34 AM

If I liked the house and I could get it at a great price, absolutely. I'm a really lonely guy so an extra roommate would be nice if on the off chance ghosts exist. I'm sure I wouldn't see him much when I start asking for rent. Am I right landlords? lmao

DMBstandUP1984 09-18-2015 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16141252)
My fiance and I have been looking at houses. About a month ago we found one we really liked. Unfortunately, before we could make an offer it already went to sale. Yesterday that house came back on the market, the buyers backed out. We found out from our realtor that someone died in the house, apparently of a drug overdose. I am now on the fence about it. So the question is, would you buy a house someone died in? Does it matter the circumstance of death?

I grew up in a house that someone was shot and killed in. He died against the wall that my bed was on the other side of. It creeped me out a bit, and every time i heard a noise i freaked out a bit but I was also a kid.

But I don't think it would affect my decision to purchase a house now, unless it was like a house a whole family was murdered in or something to that extreme.

Arby 09-18-2015 05:37 AM

I dont see the issue.

Maybe if a murder or something happened there, that would be a turnoff. Natural causes, OD, suicide....I dont think that would matter to me

DaveHead36 09-18-2015 05:39 AM

It would depend on the circumstances of the death and how much time has passed. I'm sure the majority of houses on the market have had people die in them. If it was someone having a heart attack or just natural causes, no issues. If someone was murdered or an instance where there was mass amounts of blood loss getting on the floors/walls/etc, I might think twice. This is where the time frame comes in. Oh it happened 30 years ago? Not too bad. It happened 6 months ago? I'll pass.

Did they say what kind of drug overdose? Too many pills and they never woke up? Or was massive loss of bodily fluids part of it? How long ago did this occur?

bradshaw06 09-18-2015 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveHead36 (Post 16141259)
It would depend on the circumstances of the death and how much time has passed. I'm sure the majority of houses on the market have had people die in them. If it was someone having a heart attack or just natural causes, no issues. If someone was murdered or an instance where there was mass amounts of blood loss getting on the floors/walls/etc, I might think twice. This is where the time frame comes in. Oh it happened 30 years ago? Not too bad. It happened 6 months ago? I'll pass.

Did they say what kind of drug overdose? Too many pills and they never woke up? Or was massive loss of bodily fluids part of it? How long ago did this occur?

Apparently this is the second time the house has gone to sale and the buyers backed out. The neighbors told the recent buyer that the person overdosed, might have been in there a few days. Nothing about how or anything. I'd assume it happened this year.

sheldonlevene 09-18-2015 06:46 AM

Natural causes - yes without a doubt probably.

Suicide, murder, OD - probably still would, but I'd think hard about it.

Literally means nothing, but I'd feel like there might be bad mojo.

DaveHead36 09-18-2015 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16141282)
Apparently this is the second time the house has gone to sale and the buyers backed out. The neighbors told the recent buyer that the person overdosed, might have been in there a few days. Nothing about how or anything. I'd assume it happened this year.

Hmmm yeah, that's a tough one. If they were laying on a bed or couch dead that's not bad. But if they were propped against the wall or on the floor decomposing, I'd want to make damn sure the walls and flooring had been properly sterilized and preferably removed.

M. Steng 09-18-2015 07:01 AM

If you really like the house then who the fuck cares? Ghosts aren't real and it legitimately has zero impact on your life. Not your fault some random stranger decided to do something stupid. If it's a house that you really love then that shouldn't stop you from buying it.

WidespreadMule3 09-18-2015 07:18 AM

Kinda odd timing on this thread because there's an apartment in my building that recently had an older shut-in lady pass away in it. I was actually the one that "found" her body and reported it to the police. A cleaning crew came and cleaned it thoroughly and I saw some people moving out all of her stuff. I think they've been painting inside it too.

It's been on the market for about a month now which is odd for my apartment building which normally an opening doesn't last half that long. I've wondered if it had to do with her passing away in there. I'm not sure if it'd bother me unless I knew the person or saw pictures and got details.

I was talking to a buddy who's an EMT and discussing the matter and he said you'd be surprised how much more frequently it happens than you realize.

drop2d 09-18-2015 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M. Steng (Post 16141365)
If you really like the house then who the fuck cares? Ghosts aren't real and it legitimately has zero impact on your life. Not your fault some random stranger decided to do something stupid. If it's a house that you really love then that shouldn't stop you from buying it.

Yeah, that's the thing right there... if you believe in ghosts, probably shouldn't buy a house that someone recently died in.

DMBstandUP1984 09-18-2015 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheldonlevene (Post 16141336)
Natural causes - yes without a doubt probably.

Suicide, murder, OD - probably still would, but I'd think hard about it.

Literally means nothing, but I'd feel like there might be bad mojo.

And what if the killer wasn't caught, and that is the house he always returns to, to murder.

there is a lot to think about.

AlpineValley804 09-18-2015 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 16141438)
And what if the killer wasn't caught, and that is the house he always returns to, to murder.

there is a lot to think about.

I would be sure to look for the exits every time I enter.

rickyh24 09-18-2015 07:47 AM

Grandparents both died in a house I lived in shortly after. I just gave my roommate the room they actually died in but it wasn't weird at all. Comforting if anything for me.

recentlyJTR41 09-18-2015 08:44 AM

Don't believe in ghosts so sure

SmoothG 09-18-2015 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpineValley804 (Post 16141476)
I would be sure to look for the exits every time I enter.

10/10 well done.

Absolutely! Make sure you get a smoking deal. That realator and home owner must be dying to get rid of the house at this point. Low ball them and tell them you wont back out.

recentlyJTR41 09-18-2015 09:07 AM

Reminds me of the last bit on Delerious by Eddie Murphy. White people living in a haunted house vs Black people living in one.

"Oh honey, look at this house look at the beautiful chandelier baby this is great kids running around outside this is great..."

"GET OUT!"

"Too bad we can't stay baby"

YouNeverKnow25 09-18-2015 09:34 AM

If you care, I'd look more into the cause of death. if two people have backed out because of it I'm guessing it was something a little more....messy...than a drug overdose

Jake 09-18-2015 09:36 AM

As long as its not in Amityville I'd be pretty OK with it.

jjr4884 09-18-2015 09:42 AM

lol... thats like not wanting to go to the hospital because the bed you are in, someone probably died in. man the fuck up and buy the goddamn house you pussy

(joking)

ExistenceNow 09-18-2015 09:57 AM

Barring any practical issues like water damage from massive blood loss, sure I would. I don't believe in hocus pocus like bad energy or ghosts and if the existence of that belief in others means I get the house on the cheap, all the better.

bradshaw06 09-18-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmoothG (Post 16141631)
10/10 well done.

Absolutely! Make sure you get a smoking deal. That realator and home owner must be dying to get rid of the house at this point. Low ball them and tell them you wont back out.

asking price has dropped a good 15k since we first saw it a month ago.

AllifromOhio 09-18-2015 11:59 AM

If it wasn't murder, I would

HoldemHart 09-18-2015 12:17 PM

I own a home that someone has died in, it gives the place charm.

bartender_man 09-18-2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 16141483)
Grandparents both died in a house I lived in shortly after. I just gave my roommate the room they actually died in but it wasn't weird at all. Comforting if anything for me.

Pretty different situation tho....Being family and all...

For the record-Drug overdose-I'd be uneasy, for normal natural deaths, I'd be ok.

DMBstandUP1984 09-18-2015 12:27 PM

I always wonder whos mouth the fork/spoon I'm using was in before I used it when I'm eating at a restaurant.

Climb2safety 09-18-2015 12:27 PM

Why are drug over doses such a factor?

sbuzzz 09-18-2015 12:32 PM

Drug overdoses - yes, there is likely drugs hidden somewhere. Better yet, if the house was somewhere people dealt there could be money hidden - and the opportunity to make new friends in the near future at all times of night.

DrinkNoH2O 09-18-2015 12:59 PM

No, it wouldn't bother me.

The real question is - how much can you milk it, acting like you're bothered, to get a bigger discount on the house.