Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Coldplay. Your thoughts? (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=254947)

~Crashintome89~ 06-10-2009 11:33 PM

Coldplay. Your thoughts?

SSIA.

I know we have a Coldplay thread. But I'd like to see a general response to the band from fellow ants.

I'm watching some crazy shit on Palladia right now. They are playing in Tokyo. Chris Martin is insane.

that said, I really like their stuff.

jas230314 06-11-2009 01:07 AM

Re: Coldplay. Your thoughts?

I love Coldplay. Their latest album is by far their most innovative. Past records are great too!

TwoStep2888 06-11-2009 01:15 AM

Someone post that dumb 40-Year-Old-Virgin quote right now and get it out of the way.

Coldplay's a solid band, and Viva la Vida is a fantastic album, as well as all of its peripheral material (Prospekt's March, LeftRightLeftRightLeft) has also been great. I haven't listened to too much of their older stuff, but I think I might have to, as their newer stuff is very enjoyable. Viva la Hova is also awesome. :D

~Crashintome89~ 06-11-2009 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 (Post 9617892)
Someone post that dumb 40-Year-Old-Virgin quote right now and get it out of the way.

Coldplay's a solid band, and Viva la Vida is a fantastic album, as well as all of its peripheral material (Prospekt's March, LeftRightLeftRightLeft) has also been great. I haven't listened to too much of their older stuff, but I think I might have to, as their newer stuff is very enjoyable. Viva la Hova is also awesome. :D

That's their live free album, right?

Bafugama 06-11-2009 05:21 AM

Rush of Blood to the Head is one of the best, if not THE best album of the past decade.

skaman343 06-11-2009 05:27 AM

Viva La Vida and everything after it is awesome. I like them. Older stuff is good to, but I really like newest stuff. Plus the Life in Technicolor ii video is awesome.

fleckhead 06-11-2009 05:36 AM

can't put a finger on it, but i dislike them. i wouldn't go as far as to say they suck, but i just couldn't get into them. sorry

Bafugama 06-11-2009 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleckhead (Post 9617971)
can't put a finger on it, but i dislike them. i wouldn't go as far as to say they suck, but i just couldn't get into them. sorry

No need to apologize.

RJP2741 06-11-2009 05:43 AM

I like their older stuff much much better, I have liked them less and less with each new album they have put out.

ZackR 06-11-2009 05:49 AM

I enjoy Coldplay a lot. I was surprised at home much I enjoyed Viva la Vida. Lost is a favorite of mine right now.

courtzdmb 06-11-2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bafugama (Post 9617941)
Rush of Blood to the Head is one of the best, if not THE best album of the past decade.

:thumbsup:thumbsup Great album!! I love their music. I have yet to see them live though, they were here recently on a week night and I was mad that I couldn't go. Maybe someday!

eric81485 06-11-2009 05:51 AM

I wish Chris Martin would stop running around the stage and actually sing the song rather then be out of breath 1/2 the time.

Elliott Evans 06-11-2009 05:53 AM

Their non-albums tracks are better than most of their actual albums.

JRod1229 06-11-2009 06:06 AM

Big fan... I realize as a music snob I should like them less and less as they get more popular (see Top 40) but they really just keep putting out quality stuff. Reall love Rush of Blood to the Head.

Bafugama 06-11-2009 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRod1229 (Post 9618048)
Big fan... I realize as a music snob I should like them less and less as they get more popular (see Top 40) but they really just keep putting out quality stuff. Reall love Rush of Blood to the Head.

It's a band I constantly find myself coming back to. Although I find some albums better than others, I never find myself listening to Coldplay and thinking "well, this isn't very good" or "this is too top 40 for my tastes".

gregory311 06-11-2009 07:22 AM

I find them terrible.

Abortions for some, little American flags for others.

41ravens 06-11-2009 07:28 AM

i like them a lot. as has been said, their ealier work is their best. i think i'm in the minority, cause parachutes is my favorite album by them, but rush of blood is really good as well. i have yet to see them live, however, and have heard mixed reviews about their shows.

dmbnut21 06-11-2009 07:38 AM

I like them a lot. I think Rush of Blood is still my favorite album of theirs. Also, they like DMB which is very cool. I got a bootlegged live show of theirs that is about probably 7 years old now and Chris Martin says - I just want to thank everyone for being here. We really love the US and while I know we are not as good as the Dave Matthews Band we like to think we put on a pretty good show and enjoy the states. Something like that, it was cool and he was being sincere not a douche.

GinaNMU 06-11-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41ravens (Post 9618504)
i like them a lot. as has been said, their ealier work is their best. i think i'm in the minority, cause parachutes is my favorite album by them, but rush of blood is really good as well. i have yet to see them live, however, and have heard mixed reviews about their shows.

I agree with the bolded. And you should definitely go see them...they put on a really fun show. Good stage presence, better crowd than you would actually think :lol

kittensXLI 06-11-2009 07:41 AM

Their first two albums are very, very good. Everything they've done since then I've strongly disliked.

dmbnut21 06-11-2009 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41ravens (Post 9618504)

Live they are good, in Dallas they even sat in a circle on chairs and played Til Kingdom Come as a Johnny Cash tribute which was cool. They can definitely play their instruments and are very enthusiastic. That being said- 2 issues -

1) Their shows are short, they are done at 1:30 almost on the dot.
2) From what I know they do the same show pretty much every time with very little, if any change.

hunter4268 06-11-2009 08:20 AM

Not a big fan at all, I just can't get into there music.

kjzz12 06-11-2009 08:26 AM

Parachutes - pretty great
Rush of Blood - great when it first came out, only good upon retrospect.
X+Y - Utterly forgettable/terrible
Viva La Vida - Overall good sound, lyrics still vague and spotty, only a few truly memorable songs. Basically, between decent and good.

AlexK79 06-11-2009 08:31 AM

I've always liked Coldplay. I'm not a huge uber-fan or anything but I have all 4 of their albums and I enjoy them all. Most people seem to hate X&Y but I like it quite a bit.

Most people like "Rush of Blood" the best, but for me "Parachutes" is still my favorite. I think 'Shiver' is the best song they've ever done.

kjzz12 06-11-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexK79 (Post 9618969)
I've always liked Coldplay. I'm not a huge uber-fan or anything but I have all 4 of their albums and I enjoy them all. Most people seem to hate X&Y but I like it quite a bit.

Most people like "Rush of Blood" the best, but for me "Parachutes" is still my favorite. I think 'Shiver' is the best song they've ever done.

I adore Don't Panic. I think Coldplay could learn a lot by reading and applying the lyrics to "Little Room" by the White Stripes:

Well you're in your little room
And you're working on something good
But if it's really good
You're gonna need a bigger room
And when you're in the bigger room
You might not know what to do
You might have to think of
How you got started in your little room

41ravens 06-11-2009 08:40 AM

this thread is reminding me of how much i love 'parachutes'. think i need to bust that out again.

proppenator 06-11-2009 08:57 AM

UTTAD > Parachutes, but Viva la Vida > BWGK

I really like Coldplay in the studio, but they're not very good live.

dmbman32 06-11-2009 09:18 AM

I've become a HUGE fan of theirs lately. You can't deny they're talented (write their own stuff, play their own instruement). Hell, Chris Martin's a pretty good piano player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbI-B-hffbM

They have a great gift for creating great "music" & melodies. Say what you want about lyrics and stuff, but in terms of good sounding "music," they're great. If you compare the 1st album to the newest, you can see they've definitely grown & gotten better. I think Viva did a great job of taking new ideas and combining them with the Coldplay format. Those little BTCS-esque interludes on certain songs were great.

My top 3 Coldplay songs (in no order):
-Square One
-Violet Hill
-Chinese Sleep Chant

HolyCow 06-11-2009 09:22 AM

I enjoy them. I think they are kind of sucky live though. They played in OKC a couple years ago and only stayed on stage for an hour and 20 minutes. It was weak. And they don't perform all that well.

Parachutes is my favorite album, but I enjoy everything minus X&Y. Nothing memorable on that album.

Pig17 06-11-2009 10:38 AM

Parachutes = Win
Rush of Blood = Win
X & Y = Fail
VLV = Bearable