Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Away From The World (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=307311)

coolhotwaves 02-20-2012 05:27 PM

Re: Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album

if something unreleased makes it on the album it should be LLMU or this as an interlude jam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FBBs...eature=related

pele69 02-21-2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolhotwaves (Post 13363265)
if something unreleased makes it on the album it should be LLMU or this as an interlude jam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FBBs...eature=related

i really liked dressed in black more...

bibby1044 02-22-2012 02:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yixp_j2fdC8 This version of Sugar Will is so good other than the words sweet and good being interchanged. His new vocals made the song so much better for me, hopefully he keeps those going forward.

jaymas9 02-22-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 13369135)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yixp_j2fdC8 This version of Sugar Will is so good other than the words sweet and good being interchanged. His new vocals made the song so much better for me, hopefully he keeps those going forward.

:thumbsup:thumbsup. Eff yes, and I'd rather have a better melody, than worry about the switching of words.

bibby1044 02-22-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymas9 (Post 13369472)
:thumbsup:thumbsup. Eff yes, and I'd rather have a better melody, than worry about the switching of words.

when that version first circulated I was actually surprised how many people didnt seem to even really care or comment on the new melody he used. Instead all they said was "wtf dave maybe not so good?, ruined the song for me" and didnt care about the improvements.

hockygoalie41 02-22-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 13369714)
when that version first circulated I was actually surprised how many people didnt seem to even really care or comment on the new melody he used. Instead all they said was "wtf dave maybe not so good?, ruined the song for me" and didnt care about the improvements.

I love that 'heaven know a place where we....' part and how dave sings it differently, I like a lot about the things they changed to sugar will musically, horns and tim are def a plus on it for me.

however,

'04:
sugar ain't poison
but sugar will kill you
too much of a good thing
maybe not so sweet

vs

'10:
sugar is poison
sugar will kill you
too much of a sweet thing
maybe not so good

ehh idk

jaymas9 02-22-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockygoalie41 (Post 13369769)
I love that 'heaven know a place where we....' part and how dave sings it differently, I like a lot about the things they changed to sugar will musically, horns and tim are def a plus on it for me.

however,

'04:
sugar ain't poison
but sugar will kill you
too much of a good thing
maybe not so sweet

vs

'10:
sugar is poison
sugar will kill you
too much of a sweet thing
maybe not so good

ehh idk

It's a valid point...but some people tried to say it ruined the song for them, which is just fucking ridiculous haha.

hockygoalie41 02-22-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymas9 (Post 13369775)
It's a valid point...but some people tried to say it ruined the song for them, which is just fucking ridiculous haha.

haha agreed, I love the music either way, it's still sugar will and it's still badass. I like the '08 gorge version where he said 'lit up like a christmas tree' haha, actually I like that whole version a lot

kitkatcarter 02-22-2012 06:36 PM

Sugar Will is definitely a better song with the older lyrics, Why is it so hard to believe people hate the changes? Changing the lyrics definitely ruined the song for me because I loved the song FOR the chorus, as I'm sure many others do too.

bibby1044 02-22-2012 06:49 PM

its not like the change is set in stone for the chorus. All I was saying was the vocal melody was so much better than what it was. I would be surprised if those lyrics dont go back to the original way, he probably just mixed it up.

jaymas9 02-22-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitkatcarter (Post 13369817)
Sugar Will is definitely a better song with the older lyrics, Why is it so hard to believe people hate the changes? Changing the lyrics definitely ruined the song for me because I loved the song FOR the chorus, as I'm sure many others do too.

Changed lyrics is honestly probably an overstatement...two of the same words switched places. And no one is saying they don't believe people may hate the "changes." What we are saying is, it's absolutely ridiculous that the swap of two words (and the message still remains the same) somehow make Sugar Will a bad song. Waaaay too many components to a good song for that to hold true. And the chorus (especially the melody) is easily the weakest part of Sugar Will imo.

DMBCardinal 02-22-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitkatcarter (Post 13369817)

:lol Two words were switched. The older way was probably better, but does it really change the song that much.

MinaretMarching 02-22-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBCardinal (Post 13370324)
:lol Two words were switched. The older way was probably better, but does it really change the song that much.

I want to love Sugar Will, but the part where Dave says, "Well, what do you think about that," really bothers me. I dunno, the tempo changes abruptly and that part just strikes me as odd. It's hard to explain unless you've noticed it too and it irks you. I like it otherwise, but that line...

LancLanc 02-23-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaretMarching (Post 13370479)
I want to love Sugar Will, but the part where Dave says, "Well, what do you think about that," really bothers me. I dunno, the tempo changes abruptly and that part just strikes me as odd. It's hard to explain unless you've noticed it too and it irks you. I like it otherwise, but that line...

I dig that line... just the attitude of it. The uneasy feeling you get from it fits the song well.

Evans 02-23-2012 04:27 AM

It seems like they've only been in the studio such a short time. If it is true that they are done the main piece of creating and recording the music, I have to believe that this is a lot of older stuff. It's sort of what Lillywhite had them doing back in the day, record studio versions of road-tested songs. I think in the 10 years or so since TLS, they probably had a decent pool of songs.

jaymas9 02-23-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evans (Post 13370580)
It seems like they've only been in the studio such a short time. If it is true that they are done the main piece of creating and recording the music, I have to believe that this is a lot of older stuff. It's sort of what Lillywhite had them doing back in the day, record studio versions of road-tested songs. I think in the 10 years or so since TLS, they probably had a decent pool of songs.

They recorded their catalog for the first two albums...that's not the same as recording "road tested songs" today. And they weren't in the studio for a short period of time, they were in it for a normal amount of time.

bibby1044 02-23-2012 06:46 AM

I dont really understand the point of view where people think its old stuff because they were in the studio for a little over a month. Its not like they went into the studio with nothing, Dave doesnt take an entire year off other than the caravan and not pick up his guitar and write new material.

sharky10c 02-23-2012 06:57 AM

I don't care what songs are going to be on it, I know I'm going to enjoy it. I love every DMB album. I want to know what sound the band is going to assume this time around. Is it going to be like Big Whiskey or like BTCS? I think the heavier sound of Big Whiskey was nice, but I'd like to hear Dave go back to the sound which made the band so popular....i.e. Crash, UTTAD, etc.

DreamingofaTree 02-23-2012 08:26 AM

Would a two disc album be possible? Smashing Pumpkins and Red Hot Chili Peppers did it...........DMB next? I think that'd be awesome.

JohnK86 02-23-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamingofaTree (Post 13371199)
Would a two disc album be possible? Smashing Pumpkins and Red Hot Chili Peppers did it...........DMB next? I think that'd be awesome.

Not a chance. Apparently they were fast in the studio, but I doubt that they were THAT fast.

bibby1044 02-23-2012 09:08 AM

a double disc could also decrease the overall quality of songs we could be getting, I would much rather 12 solid songs over 22-24 total songs with fillers in between those 12.

dvalukis 02-23-2012 11:14 AM

A Dream So Real

Evidence:

Lillywhite: "Beautiful, Dark, Haunting" or whatever, I'm paraphrasing
Stefan: Upright bass reported in studio
Dave: I always thought Butch wrote this and it kinda left when he did. Just found out Dave plays it on piano too.

None of these prove my point, but I guess make it seem possible. I also see no reason on Earth why Dave would bring this back either. But you never know.

Funkhouser 02-23-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvalukis (Post 13372067)
A Dream So Real

Evidence:

Lillywhite: "Beautiful, Dark, Haunting" or whatever, I'm paraphrasing
Stefan: Upright bass reported in studio
Dave: I always thought Butch wrote this and it kinda left when he did. Just found out Dave plays it on piano too.

None of these prove my point, but I guess make it seem possible. I also see no reason on Earth why Dave would bring this back either. But you never know.

This was already recorded in the studio. Some dude on thesedayscontinue posted a picture of the record hanging in some studio. So it was a finished product not just a session. i'll try to find the picture

Funkhouser 02-23-2012 11:24 AM

Here is the picture:

http://thesedayscontinue.org/attachm...6&d=1322182687

It is hanging up in Ante-Up studios in Cleveland, OH.

KAK1154 02-23-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 13370821)
I dont really understand the point of view where people think its old stuff because they were in the studio for a little over a month. Its not like they went into the studio with nothing, Dave doesnt take an entire year off other than the caravan and not pick up his guitar and write new material.

Because Rashawn said they were recording drums that month and playing live along with Carter. Dave could have written songs over the past year, but do you think it's likely that every other band member had already written parts to go along with Dave's and was ready to start recording in the beginning of January?

bibby1044 02-23-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAK1154 (Post 13372613)
Because Rashawn said they were recording drums that month and playing live along with Carter. Dave could have written songs over the past year, but do you think it's likely that every other band member had already written parts to go along with Dave's and was ready to start recording in the beginning of January?

No but I also dont think a group of talented musicians would need over a month to come up with parts to go along with songs that Dave may have already written.

KAK1154 02-23-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 13372736)
No but I also dont think a group of talented musicians would need over a month to come up with parts to go along with songs that Dave may have already written.

They didn't have over a month. According to Rashawn, they spent that month recording live drums, which means the songs were complete before that, giving them basically zero writing time in the studio.

It's possible that they sort of wrote their parts while they were tracking drums, but that's a strange way to do things in the studio. You would want to have a song pretty much complete before tracking drums, so you have an established structure (A-B-A-B-C-B etc.) to record to. Otherwise, every time you change something or come up with a new idea, you throw away your previous work.

I'm not saying it's impossible that these are new songs, but I don't see any/much evidence that points toward new material.

We don't know what they went into the studio with. Yes, Dave could have written an album's worth of songs last year, but I think it's unlikely. Plus, there are 6 other musicians in the band that have to come up with their parts for each song before they start recording. That's where that point of view comes from.

davetripping02 02-23-2012 02:04 PM

soooo a good friend met carter and rashawn in seattle couple weeks ago and asked this question: "asked Rashawn if 'Sugar Will' would be on the new album. He shook his head and said emphatically: "we're not doing any old stuff"!

So take that for what its worth.

hockygoalie41 02-23-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetripping02 (Post 13372844)
soooo a good friend met carter and rashawn in seattle couple weeks ago and asked this question: "asked Rashawn if 'Sugar Will' would be on the new album. He shook his head and said emphatically: "we're not doing any old stuff"!

I know it's just hear say but

:multi:multi:multi:multi:multi:multi:multi

sheldonlevene 02-23-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetripping02 (Post 13372844)

Well that's cool.

I don't know you, but I have no reason to believe you would just make shit up. So :thumbsup