Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Away From The World (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   antsmarching.org Away From The World Review (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=317193)

Matt 09-17-2012 10:52 AM

antsmarching.org Away From The World Review

Discuss, and be nice. The views do not represent the site's opinion, just mine. :) Can the site have an opinion? Hmm.

Away from the World, the new album from Dave Matthews and The Band, has just hit the streets. No, I haven't lost my mind and forgotten the name of the band for which this site exists. Quite the contrary; this album is simultaneously one of the great musical accomplishments for the band, as well as a near solo showcase for Dave himself. Read on past the break for a more in depth look.

drop2d 09-17-2012 11:01 AM

Re: antsmarching.org Away From The World Review

:thumbsup Good review. Pretty much sums up how I feel about this album.

solsburyhill 09-17-2012 11:07 AM

4.6/5..? C'mon now...

darkfwank 09-17-2012 11:14 AM

When I put this cd in the first few times I was disappointed. I thought it would sit in my car for the next few weeks, taken out and forgotten about. But I can't stop listening to it. Even Mercy which annoys the hell out of me for some reason has great musicianship and I dreaded Sweet on this cd but it's in my top 3 of all the tracks. It's perfect. Great review.

wampa3 09-17-2012 11:18 AM

Aside from your view on Gaucho, just can't bring myself to like that song, I'd say you hit the nail on the head. Well written review Matt. Summed it up quite nicely.

Bluewater21 09-17-2012 11:25 AM

Excellent review, my sentiments exactly :thumbsup

Swid007 09-17-2012 11:34 AM

Completely agree on your assessment of Drunken Solider. If it was the last song the band ever laid down on a track, I wouldn't be disappointed. Additionally, felt the same way the first full play through; Without knowing the songs or the lyrics, I thought I was listening to a Floyd album where every track bleeds into the next.

michaelbobbish 09-17-2012 11:35 AM

I think your review is good, but calling it a masterpiece is somewhat misleading.

rickyh24 09-17-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swid007 (Post 14031315)
Completely agree on your assessment of Drunken Solider. If it was the last song the band ever laid down on a track, I wouldn't be disappointed. Additionally, felt the same way the first full play through; Without knowing the songs or the lyrics, I thought I was listening to a Floyd album where every track bleeds into the next.

I don't get this. While the album has 4 or 5 stellar tracks the flow is off. How does belly belly nice bleed into mercy?

jiggajm18 09-17-2012 11:40 AM

i really think you got it wrong at the end. DMB is definitely an example of a band that proves that "bands can still do it" 20 years later (with regards to making new music).

Dancing Coffee 09-17-2012 12:22 PM

Matt, I don't quite get your hammering on the point of of Dave being front and center. Particularly, with respect to his vocal performances. It's pop-rock music; if there isn't a strong vocal piece to nearly every song, we're talking about a different genre. Secondarily, Dave being the centerpiece of the band is not exactly a new phenomenon. The majority of the songs have always been written exclusively by him (if the printed credits are anything to go by). So, why emphasize that point so much?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious why you brought it up so much. /shrug

jiggajm18 09-17-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggajm18 (Post 14031330)
i really think you got it wrong at the end. DMB is definitely an example of a band that proves that "bands can still do it" 20 years later (with regards to making new music).

sorry. i meant to say that DMB is definitely not an example

TrippinNancies1 09-17-2012 12:49 PM

Very good review, this album is simply a great one.

wampa3 09-17-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancing Coffee (Post 14031457)
Matt, I don't quite get your hammering on the point of of Dave being front and center. Particularly, with respect to his vocal performances. It's pop-rock music; if there isn't a strong vocal piece to nearly every song, we're talking about a different genre. Secondarily, Dave being the centerpiece of the band is not exactly a new phenomenon. The majority of the songs have always been written exclusively by him (if the printed credits are anything to go by). So, why emphasize that point so much?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious why you brought it up so much. /shrug

I think what he's getting at is in regards to the production of the album. It seems very clear to me in the way the album was mixed that Dave's voice was made to stand out and take center stage much more than past efforts. In that respect, there seems to be a clear division throughout the album of when Dave and his vocals is the center focus and when the band performance takes over. These aspects blended together a bit more in the past.

TrippinNancies1 09-17-2012 12:58 PM

Read the review again, and must say it's probably my favorite read on the album so far. Thanks again

bartender_man 09-17-2012 01:38 PM

Thought the review was a little biased. Not a 4.6 of out 5. Maybe a 4.0 though

OutsideEternity 09-17-2012 02:30 PM

I think you completely undersold Rooftop, IMHO. That song is solid.

loverofmusic 09-17-2012 02:50 PM

Nice review! I gave it a 9 on metacritic user reviews. Wish it was just a little bit longer!!

MySecondAccount 09-17-2012 03:43 PM

Your writing is repetitive and biased. I liked the album too, but it doesn't mean you need to ballwash Dave in every song.

Jake 09-17-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySecondAccount (Post 14032131)
Your writing is repetitive and biased. I liked the album too, but it doesn't mean you need to ballwash Dave in every song.

jeez, the kids aren't even trying to hide the alters anymore...

Julia Roberts 09-17-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 14032209)

No kidding

-Julia Roberts

Bluewater21 09-17-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySecondAccount (Post 14032131)

Can we please stop with this word??? This is a Dave Matthews Band FAN SITE!!! There is nothing wrong with enjoying the work they do, you are not any cooler by hating on songs and/or albums.

TrippinNancies1 09-17-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluewater21 (Post 14032264)
Can we please stop with this word??? This is a Dave Matthews Band FAN SITE!!! There is nothing wrong with enjoying the work they do, you are not any cooler by hating on songs and/or albums.

:thumbsup:thumbsup

MyThirdAccount 09-17-2012 06:51 PM

I must have hurt poor Matt's feelings, because he banned me. Okay Matt I'm sorry, your writing is far superior to anything anybody else has ever written. That better? :rattle

MyThirdAccount 09-17-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

I wasn't trying to be cool, if you were smart you would have read my whole post, which stated that I liked the new album... There's a difference between ballwashing and genuinely liking something pal :twak

MyThirdAccount 09-17-2012 06:55 PM

double post

MyThirdAccount 09-17-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 14032209)

kids? Do you patronize everyone all the time, or just over a forums site?

RiotAct 09-17-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the work they do, you are not any cooler by hating on songs and/or albums.

yes I am, shut up

Bluewater21 09-17-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyThirdAccount (Post 14032837)
I wasn't trying to be cool, if you were smart you would have read my whole post, which stated that I liked the new album... There's a difference between ballwashing and genuinely liking something pal :twak

If you genuinely like anything this band does around here you are "ballwashing" according to 80% of the douche's on here.

Jared41 09-17-2012 09:39 PM

Terrific review Matt, couldn't have said it better myself!