Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A Game of Thrones (HBO Series) (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=300194)

Alazais 03-06-2011 02:32 PM

A Game of Thrones (HBO Series)

The premier is April 17 at 9p.m!

For those of you unaware it is based off of George R.R Martin's series "A song of fire and ice" is easily one of the best fantasy series that has ever been written. Mark it on your calenders because it's going to be a good one!

Alazais 03-06-2011 02:48 PM

Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO Series)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIyCUHrESk

The Trailer.

sdkelso 03-06-2011 05:34 PM

It looks too dark. I mean the lighting. Unnecessarily dark. I did like the books though (although I'll probably never finish the series).

coldengrey12 03-06-2011 05:36 PM

My friend loves these books and is strongly encouraging me to watch them before the series comes on.

sdkelso 03-06-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 12356584)
My friend loves these books and is strongly encouraging me to watch them before the series comes on.

A faster alternative to reading but I've heard that comprehension plummets.

coldengrey12 03-06-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdkelso (Post 12356599)
A faster alternative to reading but I've heard that comprehension plummets.

Wait. That isn't how everyone absorbs a new book? Just sitting there and staring at the cover?

:lol

buzz05232000 03-06-2011 06:12 PM

series is kinda overrated, we'll see how it translates to the picture box

RhodyDMBFan 03-07-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdkelso (Post 12356578)
I did like the books though (although I'll probably never finish the series).

Neither will he at this point.

smudge1 04-04-2011 11:28 AM

First 12 minutes....
Looks awesome.
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...nute_prev.html

AJF_41 04-04-2011 11:40 AM

My room mate (who is a woman) has been looking forward to this show. About a month ago, she had a threesome with some hottie. Well on Friday night I had sex with the hottie and my room mate is now livid with me to the point of where "our friendship is on the line" - and she may not watch A Game of Thrones with me anymore. So my question is: Does she have a right to be upset with me? Do you think we will still watch the show together?

smudge1 04-04-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJF_41 (Post 12442645)
My room mate (who is a woman) has been looking forward to this show. About a month ago, she had a threesome with some hottie. Well on Friday night I had sex with the hottie and my room mate is now livid with me to the point of where "our friendship is on the line" - and she may not watch A Game of Thrones with me anymore. So my question is: Does she have a right to be upset with me? Do you think we will still watch the show together?

:lol:lol:lol Well done.

Mike_Karp 04-17-2011 09:32 PM

What did you guys think of the premier? Never read the books, but enjoyed the first episode.

clayj41 04-18-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Karp (Post 12490042)
What did you guys think of the premier? Never read the books, but enjoyed the first episode.

:thumbsup My only prior knowledge of the source material was a bunch of my college friends raving about it. I was thoroughly impressed with the premiere though. Based solely on the season preview at the end of the episode, this series is going to be fantastic.

smudge1 04-18-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayj41 (Post 12492085)
:thumbsup My only prior knowledge of the source material was a bunch of my college friends raving about it. I was thoroughly impressed with the premiere though. Based solely on the season preview at the end of the episode, this series is going to be fantastic.

HBO screened the first 6 episodes and apparently the pilot is the weakest episode.

42graystreet 04-18-2011 02:10 PM

I had not heard of this series before last night, nor read the books. I was flipping channels, went to see what was on HBO, read the info, decided to give it a shot and by the end of the hour+ I was completely hooked. I will be watching the series.

Regarding the actual episode, I felt like they used it to introduce us to the characters and upcoming plot lines, so on its own it wasn't going to be anything too spectacular.

fonzz41 04-18-2011 03:17 PM

I just finished the book and was blown away. If the series is anywhere close to the books, you'll definitely want to keep watching!

However, I don't have HBO. Anyone know of a good site where I can watch?

Mike_Karp 04-18-2011 07:56 PM

Not gonna lie, that scene with the brother and sister weirded me out.

Ascf33 04-19-2011 05:39 AM

Watched it last night. Decent pilot ep. I'm curious how everything will shake out now. That last scene made me jump. Also, let's hope we see a lot more of the blond chick that married the warrior guy. She's fucking smoking.

Beebz 04-19-2011 05:47 AM

Watched it last night having never read a page of the books. Pretty decent. Lots of characters, though, so its going to take a while to figure out who is who (and who is where, and why). The opening scene was well choreographed and the cinematography was excellent throughout.

I thought the scene with the mother telling the boy to stop climbing was cheesy as shit and reeked of foreshadowing. It was obvious as hell how that episode was gonna end.

Overall, though, well done.

dreamingtree041 04-19-2011 05:57 AM

I just watched the first episode last night and thought it was pretty good. I like darker shows.

smudge1 04-19-2011 09:31 AM

HBO has ordered a second season already.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...nes/?src=twrhp

maxpower00044 04-19-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Karp (Post 12493389)
Not gonna lie, that scene with the brother and sister weirded me out.

I didn't even know they were brother and sister until someone told me today. I must have missed that part. I though it was one of the kings sons from his first wife. Just made that a whole lot weirder. I'll have to watch this again.

RJP2741 04-20-2011 03:54 PM

Just watched the Pilot, loved it. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

haybale97 04-20-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP2741 (Post 12500351)
Just watched the Pilot, loved it. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

:thumbsup. Great pilot, I can't wait for the rest of the season to unfold.

dmbmuskie 04-20-2011 04:19 PM

I've watched it twice. I'm indifferent right now, but I'm going to keep watching.

RJP2741 04-20-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbmuskie (Post 12500414)
I've watched it twice. I'm indifferent right now, but I'm going to keep watching.

What are you iffy about? I'm pretty interested in all of the storylines so far. And they seem to have a full spectrum of characters from extremely likable, to despicable. Should make for an interesting show.

dmbmuskie 04-20-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP2741 (Post 12500521)
What are you iffy about? I'm pretty interested in all of the storylines so far. And they seem to have a full spectrum of characters from extremely likable, to despicable. Should make for an interesting show.

Fantasy just isn't my thing. Throwing some T&A, f-bombs, and Mortal Kombat caliber violence into the mix didn't change much, which as much as I hate to admit it is one of the reasons why HBO shows are better. If you watch the Sopranos on cable it's not a very good show, because it doesn't feel real.

RJP2741 04-20-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbmuskie (Post 12500712)
Fantasy just isn't my thing. Throwing some T&A, f-bombs, and Mortal Kombat caliber violence into the mix didn't change much, which as much as I hate to admit it is one of the reasons why HBO shows are better. If you watch the Sopranos on cable it's not a very good show, because it doesn't feel real.

It's totally true. They can do things other networks can't, so their shows start out at a higher level than most other shows just because of that. Plus, boobs, profanity, and gore makes just about anything better.

dmbmuskie 04-20-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP2741 (Post 12500724)
It's totally true. They can do things other networks can't, so their shows start out at a higher level than most other shows just because of that. Plus, boobs, profanity, and gore makes just about anything better.

I think HBO and Showtime both use that stuff as a crutch. AMC and to a lesser extent F/X do great stuff w/o it, so it can be done.

I just felt like they forced that stuff into the show to make it seem less nerdy. Maybe they lifted the dialogue right out of the source material, but it just didn't feel right. The dialogue in Sopranos, the Wire, and Deadwood was definitely more crude, but it flowed better, because they always talked like that.

EDIT: I think it can and probably will get better. In the pilot of the Wire, Rawls drops the N-word, which is totally out of character for every cop in the show. Maybe the creepy blond guy won't be telling his sister he'd let 40k people fuck her ever again.

Alazais 04-20-2011 06:28 PM

Thought it was a pretty strong intro episode. I like how they relief rather strongly on the source material. A lot of the things that happened I remember very clearly. It looks like they haven't taken to many liberties with the work quite yet. I haven't read the first book A Game of Thrones in around 10 years but it was really interesting to see it happen on screen. It's my understanding George R.R. Martin (The author) had a strong voice in the creation of the series - so that bodes well.