Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Knives (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=301869)

Lcsulla 06-02-2011 12:25 PM

Knives

We have a gun thread but I saw nothing about knives. Anyone else carry them around? If so what brand and type do you prefer?

Personally I like Emerson and Microtech. I have an emerson fixed karambit with a composite blade to avoid security. I have a titanium microtech assassin 2 that will go through most metal detectors - cool because it is the size of a credit card, fits in my wallet and is sharp as a razor. For everyday carry I have an Emerson wave CQC folder with a tanto blade. For non carry use I have an Emerson/Neeley Specwar fixed blade jump rated knife with a 5.5 inch blade and a nonconductive handle - essentially the best tac knife I have ever seen.

maxpower00044 06-02-2011 12:25 PM

Re: Knives

Don't make me cut you, man!

Nick@Night 06-02-2011 12:26 PM

Butter is what I roll with.

AJF_41 06-02-2011 12:30 PM

one of my favorite movies....and scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WLQxqdkqSU

jcc522 06-02-2011 12:31 PM

Got a gerber folder with tanto, got to head to work, will post pics tonight of my EDC stuff for those interested

Lcsulla 06-02-2011 12:32 PM

I know we have some active duty military and LEO's as well as former military or LE so I was just curious what people's preferences were.

Sidenote, when I go to the office my hotel is 5 minutes from Camden. The great state of New Jersey will not approve my carry permit for a pistol- turned down 5 years straight despite no arrests on my record and no history of drug or alcohol abuse. Given the people walking the streets and hanging around the hotel having a knife is teh best I can do given their idiotic gun carry screening process. Again, CAMDEN folks. :lol

DIDriveOut2SPAC 06-02-2011 12:32 PM

:lol Good thing you can get past metal detectors

collinsat12 06-02-2011 12:32 PM

I prefer plastic. Use it once and throw it away.

Lcsulla 06-02-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC (Post 12641400)
:lol Good thing you can get past metal detectors

It is simple, frankly I could probably bring my pistol and get it through - but then again I get to go through the handicapped lines so my carry on is virtually ignored because the agents are generally focussed on me and the metal detectors. :lol

Lcsulla 06-02-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collinsat12 (Post 12641404)
I prefer plastic. Use it once and throw it away.

Mine is a plastic/graphite composite - frankly it is just as sharp as any other I own.

Haiku Jimi 06-02-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 12641396)
Sidenote, when I go to the office my hotel is 5 minutes from Camden. The great state of New Jersey will not approve my carry permit for a pistol- turned down 5 years straight despite no arrests on my record and no history of drug or alcohol abuse. Given the people walking the streets and hanging around the hotel having a knife is teh best I can do given their idiotic gun carry screening process. Again, CAMDEN folks. :lol

I thought a 3 inch blade is the longest you're allowed to carry legally. Then again I dont follow up on my weapon laws.

collinsat12 06-02-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 12641438)
Mine is a plastic/graphite composite - frankly it is just as sharp as any other I own.

sounds fancy.

Lcsulla 06-02-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haiku Jimi (Post 12641448)
I thought a 3 inch blade is the longest you're allowed to carry legally. Then again I dont follow up on my weapon laws.

I do not carry it on my person - the larger one. I bought it because it cuts and chops through anything - metal included. It has a large blade for longevity. It rarely dulls and I can cut through wires without risk of a shock. I know carrying it is illegal and when it comes to weapons I follow the law to the letter.

Just to show, this is the knife I have that I cannot carry on my person: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...-by-timberline

Haiku Jimi 06-02-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 12641480)
I do not carry it on my person - the larger one. I bought it because it cuts and chops through anything - metal included. It has a large blade for longevity. It rarely dulls and I can cut through wires without risk of a shock. I know carrying it is illegal and when it comes to weapons I follow the law to the letter.

Just to show, this is the knife I have that I cannot carry on my person: http://i.ebayimg.com/02/!CCoI1WQ!mk~$(KGrHqV,!lkEz+z++YFlBNL)(nBhwQ~~0_3.J PG

Oh ok. I was more asking because I was curious as to what was legal :lol

3 inches is lame. That's essentially a Swiss army knife.

Lcsulla 06-02-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collinsat12 (Post 12641455)
sounds fancy.

Nothing special at all. It was very cheap too. Mainly it sits in my car between the drivers seat and center console in case I have an accident and need to pop the airbag and cut the seatbelt.

http://www.defensedevices.com/keramb...-karambit.html

Lcsulla 06-02-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haiku Jimi (Post 12641487)
Oh ok. I was more asking because I was curious as to what was legal :lol

3 inches is lame. That's essentially a Swiss army knife.

I always thought the legal carry was 4 not 3, if it is three my carry knife will get me into trouble. :lol

It is a newer version of the following with a non-serrated blade because I prefer that. http://davesknifeworld.com/emersoncq...backorder.aspx

scrock25 06-02-2011 01:04 PM

People who carry knives that don't need them for job related purposes are creepy.

Lcsulla 06-02-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrock25 (Post 12641569)
People who carry knives that don't need them for job related purposes are creepy.

I do use it for my job but I carry it when I am not working. You would be surprised how often I use it for random things. Having it with me beats having to search for scissors or something else that will accomplish what will take me one second with a blade.

I also use it for quite a few household chores as well, it takes the place of a boxcutter type razor and does the exact same thing. It is probably sharper too. :lol

ExistenceNow 06-02-2011 01:11 PM

I have a front opening switchblade at home. It's illegal to carry, and a felony if you take it into a bar, so it doesn't leave the house.

dre2142 06-02-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrock25 (Post 12641569)

I kinda agree.

A pocket knife is one thing....but a knife in a sheath strapped to a leg or something is just weird.

scrock25 06-02-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 12641583)
I do use it for my job but I carry it when I am not working. You would be surprised how often I use it for random things. Having it with me beats having to search for scissors or something else that will accomplish what will take me one second with a blade.

I also use it for quite a few household chores as well, it takes the place of a boxcutter type razor and does the exact same thing. It is probably sharper too. :lol

This makes perfect sense and is totally understandable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dre2142 (Post 12641601)
I kinda agree.

A pocket knife is one thing....but a knife in a sheath strapped to a leg or something is just weird.

Right, to my OP, those type of knives are the ones I was referencing.

Pocket knives have tons of purposes as far as utility is concerned.

manderso 06-02-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haiku Jimi (Post 12641448)

Here in Canada, it's 6 inches and it can't be opened by spring poet or with a button.

ExistenceNow 06-02-2011 01:18 PM

I used to carry a pocket knife at work, but I go to the Capitol everyday now and I'm afraid of forgetting to leave it in the car and catching a beat down from the State Troopers. Those guys are probably itching for some action after being stuck on metal detector duty for the last 140 days.

Lcsulla 06-02-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dre2142 (Post 12641601)

Oh, agreed entirely. I was talking about a folder in the pocket when I said carry knife.

Lcsulla 06-02-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrock25 (Post 12641616)
Right, to my OP, those type of knives are the ones I was referencing.

Pocket knives have tons of purposes as far as utility is concerned.

Understood and thanks for the clarification. I thought you meant people who carry folding knives in their pocket.

Haiku Jimi 06-02-2011 01:21 PM

I want to start carrying a Scottish Claymore around.

Lcsulla 06-02-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haiku Jimi (Post 12641648)

:lol

In all seriousness I have a model 1861 cavalry saber. I do not carry this. :lol

It is a showcase item hung on my wall - I am a history person with a lot of interest in the Civil War.

ExistenceNow 06-02-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haiku Jimi (Post 12641648)

I used to work with a guy who carried a sword in his car.

He got car jacked on a delivery once, and stabbed the would be jacker in the chest with it. It hit breastbone, so it didn't do much damage to the guy, but it sure as shit stopped the car jacking. :lol

magic stuff 06-02-2011 01:23 PM

K, as in knife?

Lcsulla 06-02-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExistenceNow (Post 12641656)
I used to work with a guy who carried a sword in his car.

Nice Marmut.

Some will get it and laugh, others will be puzzled.

Damn Nihilists. :lol