Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Away From The World (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=307311)

vegeevore 02-08-2012 12:37 AM

Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album

I have come to realize that there are now TONS of indications pointing toward the possibility that the new album is an album of unreleased songs in the DMB catalog. I think it would be interesting if we compiled a list of all of these tips and hints that could support this theory, looking back from this point in time. I definitely think topic of discussion warrants a new thread. Hear me out.

Allow me to start with some of the things that come to my mind (please correct me if any of these are factually incorrect):

* It is widely understood that the band did not enter the studio before January 2012. Based on the recent past, the preferred writing environment for DMB has been as a group in the studio (versus Dave writing entire DMB songs on his own in his house). Thus, it appears to be a safe assumption that very little new material was written before January 2012.

* Rashawn's new video indicates that ALL of the horn parts have been recorded, are finished, and were laid down in just 6 hours. The band entered the studio around 5 weeks ago. If we assume that they didn't write much material before January 2012, that gives them 5 weeks to be very far in the writing and recording process. Compare that to the Big Whiskey sessions, which lasted over multiple years. (video link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3294899781819)

* Stefan and Lillywhite's activity on Twitter seem to indicate that the full band is not grinding it out 24/7 in the studio every day. Stefan seems to be out and about in the Seattle area quite a bit, and Lillywhite posted "no band in today... just me and the new tunes !!" on Jan 28. This jives with what Rashwan indicated in the video regarding the horn parts already being done.

* At this stage in their careers, DMB members are likely not going to want to put out subpar work. More so, Steve Lillywhite is not going to want to put out subpar work. This is not going to be another Everday, where it was recorded in half an hour, or something of the likes. It seems unlikely that they would write and record an entire album's worth of new material in such a short amount of time, given these points. However, recording an entire album's worth of new material in 5 weeks for a quality album sounds about right if you already have the songs written.

* At the end of the 2011 NYC Caravan, Dave commented that there will be new music next year. While Dave's words shouldn't be taken too literally because he is Dave, this does imply that he was expecting to return to play new material in the 2012 album year. While this could mean a lot of things, it does support the theory that an album would be released before the 2012 summer tour. It is impossible to release an album unless it has been recorded in full several months in advance.

* DMB is at a point in time where they have accumulated a great deal of quality unreleased songs. It would make sense at this point in their careers to release an album consisting of such songs. They have a wide selection to choose from. Why not bring back a quality producer and make a good album out of their written work? DMB also knows which of those songs are loved and more well received than others.

* DMB has toyed with and unearthed many of these unreleased songs in 2010 and in 2011. Think about it...Sugar Will, Idea Of You, Joyride, Kill The King, Break Free, Shotgun, Good Good Time, Sweet Up And Down, etc. were all played in 2010 and 2011. Even Granny received a ton of plays in 2012, relatively speaking.

Anybody else got anything to add to that to fuel this theory?

brobb 02-08-2012 01:17 AM

Re: Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album

If the new album is merely a collection of old songs, I will be thoroughly disappointed.

mfietek 02-08-2012 01:27 AM

I think all of your facts are for the most part are correct. However, I think there has been work done on this album at some level before they got together in January which makes me think this will be almost all new music with the chance of a few road tested songs added. There was just way too much downtime last year for a group of creative people that have spent the last 20 years on the road to just sit around and not do something. We know from SL's tweets that he has been writting music from the time the last caravan ended. Wouldn't surprise me if Dave hasn't been writting music also. Of course just my opinion and based of zero facts.

vegeevore 02-08-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfietek (Post 13324362)
I think all of your facts are for the most part are correct. However, I think there has been work done on this album at some level before they got together in January which makes me think this will be almost all new music with the chance of a few road tested songs added. There was just way too much downtime last year for a group of creative people that have spent the last 20 years on the road to just sit around and not do something. We know from SL's tweets that he has been writting music from the time the last caravan ended. Wouldn't surprise me if Dave hasn't been writting music also. Of course just my opinion and based of zero facts.

It seems to me that based on the recent past, they primarily write songs in a studio setting together as a band, and when this happens, ants are well aware of it. Yes, Blackjack showed up randomly as a new song without a studio session being involved, but it's not too difficult to work on one new song across a tour.

Foreverford05 02-08-2012 01:48 AM

My own personal opinion is they had a rough draft of the songs going on the album and we just didn't know about it. By the time dave told everyone new music is coming out at the caravan, im sure many of the songs had at least a shell to work with. I don't think they went in the studio Jan 1st with blackjack and came out with a full album of new tunes.

tallfire8 02-08-2012 05:19 AM

I thought that Blackjack originated in studio sessions from 2007...not 100% sure on that but I remember reading it somewhere.

EDIT: http://www.antsmarching.org/tour/Vie...hp?ShowID=4094 It was this studio sessions.

v0taw 02-08-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobb (Post 13324360)
If the new album is merely a collection of old songs, I will be thoroughly disappointed.

Having one tour of previously forgotten unreleased material played regularly would be pretty stellar IMO.

Let them put out new songs next year.

pele69 02-08-2012 06:23 AM

Anyone else remember DMB not touring last summer? News songs could have easily been written then.

sheldonlevene 02-08-2012 06:29 AM

I don't think anything will be definitive "proof" until we get the tracklisting.

dmbfan4ever 02-08-2012 07:20 AM

None of this was convincing.

richie2017 02-08-2012 07:27 AM

I said the same thing when I saw songs like Break Free and Kill the King make comebacks.

dmbboiler01 02-08-2012 07:46 AM

He also tweeted this back in October 2008. "I think it's cool to have tunes that are only live. Maybe we could make an album called live not live. Not today though. I'm busy." I know it's a stretch, but it gives hope to the idea that he would consider doing what the OP is suggesting.

vegeevore 02-08-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbboiler01 (Post 13324802)
He also tweeted this back in October 2008. "I think it's cool to have tunes that are only live. Maybe we could make an album called live not live. Not today though. I'm busy." I know it's a stretch, but it gives hope to the idea that he would consider doing what the OP is suggesting.

good find. i forgot about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbfan4ever (Post 13324697)

it's not convincing, but it does start to add up to start make sense if u look at it this way. do u really think that at this point in the existence of DMB, they are going to put out a full album of new songs after only 5 weeks of studio work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallfire8 (Post 13324424)
I thought that Blackjack originated in studio sessions from 2007...not 100% sure on that but I remember reading it somewhere.

EDIT: http://www.antsmarching.org/tour/Vie...hp?ShowID=4094 It was this studio sessions.

Yeah, that's right. Good find. That means they haven't written a song and toured with it in quite a while (minus Sweet).

Quote:

Originally Posted by pele69 (Post 13324559)
Anyone else remember DMB not touring last summer? News songs could have easily been written then.

The problem with this statement is that like I said, based on recent past, DMB writes songs collectively in a studio, and when that happens, people have known about it in almost every instance. When is the last time that they went into studio and we didn't know about it instantly?

TMoore4075 02-08-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegeevore (Post 13324829)
The problem with this statement is that like I said, based on recent past, DMB writes songs collectively in a studio, and when that happens, people have known about it in almost every instance. When is the last time that they went into studio and we didn't know about it instantly?

I don't remember hearing about them in the studio in late 2007. I didn't hear anything until early 08 when they were in Seattle. If it was known and I just didn't hear about them being in Haunted Hallow in fall of 07 then please correct me.

NeatFreakGeek 02-08-2012 08:03 AM

at this point in their careers, i don't see DMB bringing in Lillywhite just to produce a bunch of old songs (yes, I know that's what the first two albums were). There's enough other producer-types in DMB's orbit who can produce songs that have been tried and tested.

i still want to know what happened to the studio Sugar Will that was recorded in Vegas, shown on the Big Whisky documentary.

s0628711 02-08-2012 08:04 AM

While I would prefer new tunes, I'd take an album of rehashed songs because we know their quality and would cause for better setlists IMO. With the new album, we just don't know what we might be getting.

clive bixby 02-08-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

agreed. i think this will be an all new album with 2 old songs at the very most

character111 02-08-2012 08:10 AM

I'm not familiar with a lot of these unreleased songs. I have heard Kill the King and I really like that one. I've always skipped Blackjack and those type of songs because of the bad reviews they've earned on this forum. So if those kind of songs are on the album... I don't know. Sounds like it would be an album full of songs that weren't good enough to be on Big Whiskey. An album of Big Whiskey reject songs. Maybe not a Big 3 level album, but definitely worthy of Bottom 3 status.

Mateo2k 02-08-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by character111 (Post 13324876)
I've always skipped Blackjack and those type of songs because of the bad reviews they've earned on this forum.

If you're into a band enough to be an active member on a forum dedicated to them, you should probably take the time to listen to songs and form your own opinion on them.

bubba40 02-08-2012 08:20 AM

With the apparent speed with which they're working, I've got to think that at least parts of stuff we've heard before will be on the record.

Funkhouser 02-08-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mateo2k (Post 13324886)
If you're into a band enough to be an active member on a forum dedicated to them, you should probably take the time to listen to songs and form your own opinion on them.

Yeah....I don't understand why you wouldn't...that may be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Why would you go by other peoples opinions. Form your own. You might love the songs.

Funkhouser 02-08-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba40 (Post 13324908)
With the apparent speed with which they're working, I've got to think that at least parts of stuff we've heard before will be on the record.

I hope that Hurricane song from D&T Vegas 09 shows up somehow....sounded beautiful

DMBzilla 02-08-2012 08:24 AM

It's important to remember that Dave had a ton of time off in 2011. He commented at Randall's that they hoped to be back with new songs in 2012, so it's certainly reasonable to assume that a good portion of that time involved writing music. Once Lillywhite got back into the picture (probably sometime around November if the D&T show in NYC was a sort of jumping off point for their reunion), I'm sure Dave went into writing mode so he could enter the studio in January with some new ideas ready to go.

I would be very surprised if there aren't any previously road tested songs on the new record (I'd put Shotgun and Blackjack as front runners), but I'm sure we'll get a handful of new tunes as well. That said, if the album looked something like this:

1. Intro
2. Crazy Easy
3. New Song
4. New Song
5. Sweet Up & Down
6. Sugar Will
7. New Song
8. New Song
9. Shotgun
10. New Song
11. New Song
12. Blackjack

...I'd have no problem with it.

sheldonlevene 02-08-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBzilla (Post 13324921)
It's important to remember that Dave had a ton of time off in 2011. He commented at Randall's that they hoped to be back with new songs in 2012, so it's certainly reasonable to assume that a good portion of that time involved writing music. Once Lillywhite got back into the picture (probably sometime around November if the D&T show in NYC was a sort of jumping off point for their reunion), I'm sure Dave went into writing mode so he could enter the studio in January with some new ideas ready to go.

I would be very surprised if there aren't any previously road tested songs on the new record (I'd put Shotgun and Blackjack as front runners), but I'm sure we'll get a handful of new tunes as well. That said, if the album looked something like this:

1. Intro
2. Crazy Easy
3. New Song
4. New Song
5. Sweet Up & Down
6. Sugar Will
7. New Song
8. New Song
9. Shotgun
10. New Song
11. New Song
12. Blackjack

I would. Track 12. :lol

But I get your point.

Funkhouser 02-08-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

1. Intro
2. Crazy Easy
3. New Song
4. New Song
5. Sweet Up & Down
6. Sugar Will
7. New Song
8. New Song
9. Shotgun
10. New Song
11. New Song
12. Blackjack

Crazy Easy would be so bad ass with a little intro....would be a great way to start an album.

s0628711 02-08-2012 08:27 AM

Me either. I'd sign for that. Stellar selection of old songs and enough new ones mixed in there.

JohnK86 02-08-2012 08:32 AM

Iīm going to guess that it is all new music. I donīt know why they would want to record old shit, with the exception of Black Jack.

evino526 02-08-2012 08:42 AM

Don't they usually do a bonus cd with pre-order? The bonus cd could have some unreleased songs on it as well.

character111 02-08-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mateo2k (Post 13324886)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumlax15 (Post 13324909)
Yeah....I don't understand why you wouldn't...that may be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Why would you go by other peoples opinions. Form your own. You might love the songs.

I don't know what's so hard to understand. Those songs are mostly only available on Live Trax albums. I don't buy every Live Trax album. I check out the reviews from other fans who are more familiar with the band's good music before investing in a CD. Most of the band's new material and recently-recorded Live Trax have been considered hit or miss, so I've passed on them. I use the search function and check out the polls and reviews that you all do on here. There are too many good shows available to spend a ton of money on mediocre ones, some people have to decide and can't buy everything the band releases.

Funkhouser 02-08-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by character111 (Post 13324992)
I don't know what's so hard to understand. Those songs are mostly only available on Live Trax albums. I don't buy every Live Trax album. I check out the reviews from other fans who are more familiar with the band's good music before investing in a CD. Most of the band's new material and recently-recorded Live Trax have been considered hit or miss, so I've passed on them. I use the search function and check out the polls and reviews that you all do on here. There are too many good shows available to spend a ton of money on mediocre ones, some people have to decide and can't buy everything the band releases.

dmbstream.com

ninjatim33 02-08-2012 08:53 AM

I think it will either be an album of unreleased songs, which I don't think it will be, or all new songs with maaaaybe 2 previously unreleased ones.

character111 02-08-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumlax15 (Post 13325003)
dmbstream.com

Right, but still - what's the point of listening to mediocre shows instead of good ones? Ants Marching street cred or something? I'm just interested in listening to the good shows out there, not getting in a pissing match to see who has listened to the most shows or suffered through the subpar ones.

DMBzilla 02-08-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by character111 (Post 13324992)

dreamingtree.org

character111 02-08-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBzilla (Post 13325036)
dreamingtree.org

Okay, I'm convinced now. Instead of listening to good shows, particularly from the band's peak era, I'm going to download the shows everyone complains about so I too can complain about how they're not as good as they used to be. Instead of listening to shows where they are that good. :thumbsup

Like I said, there are too many good shows available to be chasing down subpar performances just for the sake of saying I heard them.

Funkhouser 02-08-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by character111 (Post 13325035)
Right, but still - what's the point of listening to mediocre shows instead of good ones? Ants Marching street cred or something? I'm just interested in listening to the good shows out there, not getting in a pissing match to see who has listened to the most shows or suffered through the subpar ones.

To hear new songs that haven't been released yet and also hear some great shows.....Ants Marching street cred? calm down over there...

bdj1311 02-08-2012 09:04 AM

I'm just gonna go a head and get this out of the way now, Double album, ftw! 1 old stuff, 1 new stuff. I doubt it will happen, and said it during the lead up to BW, which obviously didn't happen, but since this is all just conjecture I'm throwing it out there.

DMBzilla 02-08-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by character111 (Post 13325058)
Okay, I'm convinced now. Instead of listening to good shows, particularly from the band's peak era, I'm going to download the shows everyone complains about so I too can complain about how they're not as good as they used to be. Instead of listening to shows where they are that good. :thumbsup

Like I said, there are too many good shows available to be chasing down subpar performances just for the sake of saying I heard them.

http://www.dreamingtree.org/details.php?id=8416

Incredible show. Includes Blackjack.

ComeNDnceWithMe 02-08-2012 09:18 AM

OP made A LOT of assumptions. What a stretch ...

tolley 02-08-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by character111 (Post 13325058)

I don't know why you think you have to download a whole show to hear one song? I always check YouTube a day or two after the show and can pick or choose what I want to listen to. I know the quality of the videos usually isn't great (copperpot excluded), but you can get a good enough feel for a song.
Edit: BTW, Blackjack sucks!

Jud78 02-08-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeatFreakGeek (Post 13324854)
at this point in their careers, i don't see DMB bringing in Lillywhite just to produce a bunch of old songs (yes, I know that's what the first two albums were). There's enough other producer-types in DMB's orbit who can produce songs that have been tried and tested.

i still want to know what happened to the studio Sugar Will that was recorded in Vegas, shown on the Big Whisky documentary.

I agree, I don't see Lillywhite coming back after a much publicized end to tLWS and then an even more publicized leak of the work that they had done, to simply record old tunes that the band has played for years.

On the other hand, Dave did mention in an interview (i believe in Italy?) that Coran Capshaw comes to him from time to time and says "hey what about these songs" in reference to songs they had worked on (and in some cases played live) but never made it to an album.

So i think the possibility remains that you could see an old tune or 2...but more than likely, after a year off, the band is more focused on new music, and for the first time with a truely new lineup (i.e. Jeff there to actually help write vs. fill in some parts to finish off BW).

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 09:34 AM

There is one LEGITIMATELY strong counter-argument against those who think that it is an album full of new songs: It is highly unlikely that DMB wrote and recorded a full album of new material in 5 weeks. While it could happen, it is very unlikely at this point in time. The fact that Rashawn said that the horn sections are finished and recorded right now is a major red flag.

DMB likes writing songs together these days. Can you honestly tell me that you see Dave writing multiple DMB songs alone in his house, and then telling the rest of the guys that this is the song and this is your part? The band likes to write together, and they like to write in studio. Their songs have too many parts for it to just be Dave alone unless he's writing simple solo songs like Sweet, Sister, etc.

Balor3012 02-08-2012 09:38 AM

So many good shows have Crazy Easy, Good Good Time, Joyride etc.

dontdrink36 02-08-2012 09:38 AM

I think the album will end up being a mix of both 4-6 old tunes reworked and 4-6 new ones. I just hope the new ones are good and that Crazy Easy is one of the old ones!

Sniper15 02-08-2012 09:39 AM

I think it will be all new songs.

sheldonlevene 02-08-2012 09:43 AM

No one is asserting that Dave wrote everyone's parts at home. But the way they used to write (from my limited knowledge) could still hold. He writes guitar and lyrics and presents ideas to the band to either scrap or work on.

I still don't think this is going to be essentially a B-sides album.

Utopia 02-08-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBzilla (Post 13325118)
http://www.dreamingtree.org/details.php?id=8416

Incredible show. Includes Blackjack.

What a show. That's probably my favorite experience as a DMB fan, and I've seen some particularly amazing things.

jaymas9 02-08-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

1. Intro
2. Crazy Easy
3. New Song
4. New Song
5. Sweet Up & Down
6. Sugar Will
7. New Song
8. New Song
9. Shotgun
10. New Song
11. New Song
12. Blackjack

Even though I'm usually a fan of all new music, especially with a producer like Lillywhite...I would sign on for this album, because I like and/or see the potential with all those already figured out tracks, and I have great faith in new material with Steve Lillywhite at the helm.

ajk316 02-08-2012 09:52 AM

There are some songs I would prefer to just keep live... Some of these songs are special because you can only hear them live and its special to hear that song live and to know it is not played every show to promote the new album. Especially when they start playing a song you never thought you would ever hear.

Luv4Roi 02-08-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

This. :lol

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheldonlevene (Post 13325240)
No one is asserting that Dave wrote everyone's parts at home. But the way they used to write (from my limited knowledge) could still hold. He writes guitar and lyrics and presents ideas to the band to either scrap or work on.

I still don't think this is going to be essentially a B-sides album.

Ok, so let's say that Dave hypothetically wrote songs on his own last year and then the band gets together in early January. You really think that they would have enough time to feel 110% confident that they played, experimented with, honed, and perfected all of those songs, and recorded final tracking of the horns, in just 5 weeks? It appears that Stefan hasn't even been in the studio every day, based on his Twitter.

This is a band that took 3+ (?) studio sessions to write and record the final material for their last album. This is a band that is well aware that the songs they write will grow and adapt over time. It seems naive to make the assumption that they would be content with an album of new songs at this point in the game, and be ready to almost call it final. ESPECIALLY with Lillywhite's history of "pushing" the band to achieve greatness and not accept mediocre results.

Let's look at the flip side, too. Let's say it is all new songs. Are you assured that they are quality songs, knowing that the horn lines were recorded in 6 hours? Listen to BTCS and Lillywhite Sessions and UTTAD again. While yes, you could physically record those parts in 6 hours time, they are perfected, and perfection requires more than 6 hours. ESPECIALLY if you are working with songs that you haven't been familiar with for years.

MinaretMarching 02-08-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegeevore (Post 13324355)
I have come to realize that there are now TONS of indications pointing toward the possibility that the new album is an album of unreleased songs in the DMB catalog. I think it would be interesting if we compiled a list of all of these tips and hints that could support this theory, looking back from this point in time. I definitely think topic of discussion warrants a new thread. Hear me out.

Allow me to start with some of the things that come to my mind (please correct me if any of these are factually incorrect):

* It is widely understood that the band did not enter the studio before January 2012. Based on the recent past, the preferred writing environment for DMB has been as a group in the studio (versus Dave writing entire DMB songs on his own in his house). Thus, it appears to be a safe assumption that very little new material was written before January 2012.

* Rashawn's new video indicates that ALL of the horn parts have been recorded, are finished, and were laid down in just 6 hours. The band entered the studio around 5 weeks ago. If we assume that they didn't write much material before January 2012, that gives them 5 weeks to be very far in the writing and recording process. Compare that to the Big Whiskey sessions, which lasted over multiple years. (video link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3294899781819)

* Stefan and Lillywhite's activity on Twitter seem to indicate that the full band is not grinding it out 24/7 in the studio every day. Stefan seems to be out and about in the Seattle area quite a bit, and Lillywhite posted "no band in today... just me and the new tunes !!" on Jan 28. This jives with what Rashwan indicated in the video regarding the horn parts already being done.

* At this stage in their careers, DMB members are likely not going to want to put out subpar work. More so, Steve Lillywhite is not going to want to put out subpar work. This is not going to be another Everday, where it was recorded in half an hour, or something of the likes. It seems unlikely that they would write and record an entire album's worth of new material in such a short amount of time, given these points. However, recording an entire album's worth of new material in 5 weeks for a quality album sounds about right if you already have the songs written.

* At the end of the 2011 NYC Caravan, Dave commented that there will be new music next year. While Dave's words shouldn't be taken too literally because he is Dave, this does imply that he was expecting to return to play new material in the 2012 album year. While this could mean a lot of things, it does support the theory that an album would be released before the 2012 summer tour. It is impossible to release an album unless it has been recorded in full several months in advance.

* DMB is at a point in time where they have accumulated a great deal of quality unreleased songs. It would make sense at this point in their careers to release an album consisting of such songs. They have a wide selection to choose from. Why not bring back a quality producer and make a good album out of their written work? DMB also knows which of those songs are loved and more well received than others.

* DMB has toyed with and unearthed many of these unreleased songs in 2010 and in 2011. Think about it...Sugar Will, Idea Of You, Joyride, Kill The King, Break Free, Shotgun, Good Good Time, Sweet Up And Down, etc. were all played in 2010 and 2011. Even Granny received a ton of plays in 2012, relatively speaking.

Anybody else got anything to add to that to fuel this theory?

I think you make a lot of valid points. While there may be some "old" songs on the new album, just going by "the facts" and what Dave and Steve said...

Lillywhite posted "no band in today... just me and the new tunes !!" on Jan 28

and

* At the end of the 2011 NYC Caravan, Dave commented that there will be new music next year.

Instead of going by what I think or what my opinion is....By going off of those two very specific quotes, "new" is the operable word. Dave wrote 'Sweet' over the break and while that song gets mixed reviews, it shows he's writing.

sheldonlevene 02-08-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaretMarching (Post 13325327)
I think you make a lot of valid points. While there may be some "old" songs on the new album, just going by "the facts" and what Dave and Steve said...

Lillywhite posted "no band in today... just me and the new tunes !!" on Jan 28

and

* At the end of the 2011 NYC Caravan, Dave commented that there will be new music next year.

Instead of going by what I think or what my opinion is....By going off of those two very specific quotes, "new" is the operable word. Dave wrote 'Sweet' over the break and while that song gets mixed reviews, it shows he's writing.

Fonz also tweeted something cryptic about new songs just yesterday...maybe the day before.

MinaretMarching 02-08-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheldonlevene (Post 13325346)
Fonz also tweeted something cryptic about new songs just yesterday...maybe the day before.

Oh yeah, that's right. You prompted me to look for it...here it is...

SLessard Stefan Lessard

Imagine yourself dancing to something new and something beautiful

7 Feb

So yeah, going by those 3 things, 'new' seems to be where the album is headed. And I'm not partisan either, I will be happy with the finished product, whether it be old or new songs. Hit me with a combo.

rantingthespian 02-08-2012 10:31 AM

To me, this sounds like Busted Stuff: Mark II. Only this time Lillywhite is producing it, not Harris. Busted Stuff was completed fairly quickly because they had already worked out most of the tunes in the studio and on the road.

I would suspect that if this album is just unreleased songs finally finished, and it goes well with Lillywhite, then a new album with new material with Lillywhite is very plausible.

But, Busted Stuff did have 2 new songs on it. So, it could work out like that. We could have an album of mostly unreleased songs with a couple new tunes thrown in.

If it does turns out to be Busted Stuff: Mark II with Lillywhite, I still will be giddy as school girl who drank a 2 liter of Mountain Dew.

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rantingthespian (Post 13325422)
To me, this sounds like Busted Stuff: Mark II. Only this time Lillywhite is producing it, not Harris. Busted Stuff was completed fairly quickly because they had already worked out most of the tunes in the studio and on the road.

I would suspect that if this album is just unreleased songs finally finished, and it goes well with Lillywhite, then a new album with new material with Lillywhite is very plausible.

But, Busted Stuff did have 2 new songs on it. So, it could work out like that. We could have an album of mostly unreleased songs with a couple new tunes thrown in.

If it does turns out to be Busted Stuff: Mark II with Lillywhite, I still will be giddy as school girl who drank a 2 liter of Mountain Dew.

This is probably the best assumption right now.

MinaretMarching 02-08-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntzDigger7 (Post 13325438)
This is probably the best assumption right now.

Fuck, really? I kinda want new material. I DO want new material.

ninjatim33 02-08-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntzDigger7 (Post 13325196)
There is one LEGITIMATELY strong counter-argument against those who think that it is an album full of new songs: It is highly unlikely that DMB wrote and recorded a full album of new material in 5 weeks. While it could happen, it is very unlikely at this point in time. The fact that Rashawn said that the horn sections are finished and recorded right now is a major red flag.

DMB likes writing songs together these days. Can you honestly tell me that you see Dave writing multiple DMB songs alone in his house, and then telling the rest of the guys that this is the song and this is your part? The band likes to write together, and they like to write in studio. Their songs have too many parts for it to just be Dave alone unless he's writing simple solo songs like Sweet, Sister, etc.

Because they didn't have annnny free time in 2011 to write any new music....

pmbdmb 02-08-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaretMarching (Post 13325403)
Oh yeah, that's right. You prompted me to look for it...here it is...

SLessard Stefan Lessard

Imagine yourself dancing to something new and something beautiful

7 Feb

How do you know that has any relevance to what they're doing in the studio? People really jump to conclusions around here.

spoot388 02-08-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmbdmb (Post 13325513)
How do you know that has any relevance to what they're doing in the studio? People really jump to conclusions around here.

prove that it doesn't.

it works both ways.

MinaretMarching 02-08-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 13325531)
prove that it doesn't.

it works both ways.

That it does. Hopefully, in favor of our cause.

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatim33 (Post 13325491)
Because they didn't have annnny free time in 2011 to write any new music....

Factually speaking, when is the last time the band wrote a significant chunk of new material and ants didn't know about it when it was happening? I'm still confused on this...I know it's been a while.

rantingthespian 02-08-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaretMarching (Post 13325445)
Fuck, really? I kinda want new material. I DO want new material.

If you read what I posted, I pointed out that Busted Stuff had 2 new tunes on it. So, if it's like that, this album could have some new songs as well as old ones on it.

I think people are being a little greedy here as well. We should just be thankful that they are in the studio, and that they are with Lillywhite.

Also, from Lillywhite's latest 2 twitter pics (A shot of the Space Needle and a guitar pick with a Firedancer on it), that should put to rest any doubt against that they are working in the studio together.

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rantingthespian (Post 13325732)
If you read what I posted, I pointed out that Busted Stuff had 2 new tunes on it. So, if it's like that, this album could have some new songs as well as old ones on it.

I think people are being a little greedy here as well. We should just be thankful that they are in the studio, and that they are with Lillywhite.

Also, from Lillywhite's latest 2 twitter pics (A shot of the Space Needle and a guitar pick with a Firedancer on it), that should put to rest any doubt against that they are working in the studio together.

If the album is released in 2012, then I am down for it to be existing songs. That is rapidly fast turnover for DMB. Here's the pros/cons:

Album of existing songs:
* We could get a new album by summer 2012! +
* It's songs we already know, so not many surprises -
* It could be a really quality album +
* We could finally get a tour with lots of rarish unreleased songs we like in the rotation +

Album of new songs:
* If it's good, it probably wouldn't be ready until next year at the earliest. -
* It could be even another year, knowing this band. -
* It's new material +
* The quality of the new songs is more of a question mark.

dmb417 02-08-2012 12:41 PM

EDIT: Sorry for the post, wrong click haha

SpotlightEyes 02-08-2012 12:55 PM

Right now my feelings are this:

1. I find it very unlikely that this album will consist exclusively of brand new material.

2. I find it very unlikely that this album will consist exclusively of new recordings of the unreleased stuff from years past.

Its going to be a mixture of the two. Maybe 4 or 5 brand new songs, and 5 or 6 unreleased songs, all blended together into one great album.

dmb417 02-08-2012 12:59 PM

And what if Rashawn was just full of shit? ;)

evdawg8 02-08-2012 01:04 PM

With the amount of press work, promotional material, tv deals for advertising, sports deals and such I doubt this album will be out until the fall. Or later i'd love a October release then a fall tour.

rantingthespian 02-08-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evdawg8 (Post 13325966)
With the amount of press work, promotional material, tv deals for advertising, sports deals and such I doubt this album will be out until the fall. Or later i'd love a October release then a fall tour.

They recorded and released Busted Stuff without taking too much time.

Dankguitar 02-08-2012 01:36 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that Dave worked his ass off over the past year or so writing new tunes? Am I just being overly hopeful?

sheldonlevene 02-08-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 13326061)
Am I the only one who thinks that Dave worked his ass off over the past year or so writing new tunes? Am I just being overly hopeful?

Impossible. This is a B-sides/unreleased album. Why can't you understand?

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 13326061)

I think you are being overly hopeful, but it is true that nobody really knows. Dave has tended toward the lazy side lately, so if one were to make a guess, it would make sense to guess that he was not working his ass off writing new songs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpotlightEyes (Post 13325935)
Right now my feelings are this:

1. I find it very unlikely that this album will consist exclusively of brand new material.

2. I find it very unlikely that this album will consist exclusively of new recordings of the unreleased stuff from years past.

Its going to be a mixture of the two. Maybe 4 or 5 brand new songs, and 5 or 6 unreleased songs, all blended together into one great album.

:thumbsup

evino526 02-08-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheldonlevene (Post 13326070)
Impossible. This is a B-sides/unreleased album. Why can't you understand?

You can't say that with absolute certainty. It's all theories at this point...nothing is 'impossible'.

Lynchmobb41 02-08-2012 01:54 PM

I'm think it's going to be songs that maybe they started in the studio, but never were finished. Revisited! Songs you may not have ever heard.

SBC Soundcheck
Gas Into Fire
African Funk song in the Stand Up Videos

I remember seeing an interview where Dave said that they soundchecked a song that no one ever heard and they nailed it. Then he goes on to say that it was a wonderful song but no one may ever hear it.

The point is they have so much material and not to mention probably a lot of takes of Roi. I don't think they would make an album without his recordings, leading me to believe that this will include unreleased songs. Just my 2 cents.

sheldonlevene 02-08-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evino526 (Post 13326097)
You can't say that with absolute certainty. It's all theories at this point...nothing is 'impossible'.

I agree. I was being facetious.

Dankguitar 02-08-2012 02:07 PM

Let's also consider that when you have a year off with only the few shows that the band actually played, you don't have to "work your ass off" to write an album's worth of songs in a year. That is a shit ton of free time. I know he was using the time to be with his family but I just have a feeling he did a lot of writing. Dave hasn't had that kind of free time to write music on his own maybe ever in the band's 20 years

sheldonlevene 02-08-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 13326163)
Let's also consider that when you have a year off with only the few shows that the band actually played, you don't have to "work your ass off" to write an album's worth of songs in a year. That is a shit ton of free time. I know he was using the time to be with his family but I just have a feeling he did a lot of writing. Dave hasn't had that kind of free time to write music on his own maybe ever in the band's 20 years

:thumbsup

Dave "worked" 28 days last year. Meaning shows. Counting Dave Solo, D&T, and the band.

ramiro24 02-08-2012 02:43 PM

didnt rashawn say when they were gonna go into the studio they had stuff worked up a little bit as far as ideas during the gorge caravan? ...so they have to have some new stuff...

chyeachyea552 02-08-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynchmobb41 (Post 13326114)
The point is they have so much material and not to mention probably a lot of takes of Roi. I don't think they would make an album without his recordings, leading me to believe that this will include unreleased songs. Just my 2 cents.

I don't believe this. Big Whiskey was his send off. They used his parts, the Grux intro and #35 outro. Starting and ending with roi. They're moving on and leaving roi in his glory. Why take cuts of roi that never made an album and try to work songs out of them? This band is extremely talented and creative. They're going to move on and do what sounds good not try to form around Leroi for the rest of their careers.

BWATGK was a good way to put roi to rest. I don't think they're going to live their career as a band in the past. They're going to remember roi for who he was and what he did, not pretend he's still there.

Lynchmobb41 02-08-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chyeachyea552 (Post 13326288)
I don't believe this. Big Whiskey was his send off. They used his parts, the Grux intro and #35 outro. Starting and ending with roi. They're moving on and leaving roi in his glory. Why take cuts of roi that never made an album and try to work songs out of them? This band is extremely talented and creative. They're going to move on and do what sounds good not try to form around Leroi for the rest of their careers.

BWATGK was a good way to put roi to rest. I don't think they're going to live their career as a band in the past. They're going to remember roi for who he was and what he did, not pretend he's still there.

Good point, but like I said...Just my 2 cents;)

jaymas9 02-08-2012 03:07 PM

Anyone who actually thinks they brought Lillywhite in for a B-sides album is out of their fucking mind. Maybe there's a few songs at most that we've heard before and were finished/tinkered with. But there is no doubt the majority of this album is going to be new material. Anyone who thinks because Rashawn tracked in 6 hours means it's all old stuff, just doesn't get the recording process very well. The guy is an accomplished musician, and session playing is probably second nature to him. If they had a creative burst and wrote/brainstormed for 3 weeks, and then he layed down the parts he wrote in quality takes, then yes, it absolutely could take 6 hours.

Norman Smiley 02-08-2012 03:14 PM

My first thought was that it would be old stuff as soon as I saw that Rashawn video.

However, while a large amount of BTCS was written in studio, most of Crash and UTTAD were written and then Stevie came in and completed them.

Crash only took 3 months in studio and that was over Christmas.

Norman Smiley 02-08-2012 03:15 PM

How long did the Lillywhite sessions take to write?

Pretty sure that Rashawn being done does not mean the album is anywhere near final production.

chyeachyea552 02-08-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynchmobb41 (Post 13326291)
Good point, but like I said...Just my 2 cents;)

Oh I know, me too. I've just thought about the idea a lot and you brought up a point so your post was a good way for me to put my .02 in too. :thumbsup

Sniper15 02-08-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 13326163)

This dude is the smartest person in this thread. I think Dave brought a bunch of completed songs into the studio which is why it isn't taking long to record this album. The band probably didn't have to do a ton of jamming and songwriting like they did for Big Whiskey which accelerates the recording process. The people who think this is "definitely a b-sides album" are fucking morons. If the band wanted to release a b-sides album they would just release all of the b-side tracks they recorded in the past and never released. Why the fuck would they record a new studio version of SUAD when they already have a shitload of takes they recorded in the past that they could release? Why come together to record old songs that you already have multiple recordings of? Bands don't spend months in a studio recording b-side albums. This is going to be an album of new material.

rickyh24 02-08-2012 03:20 PM

I dread blackjack being on this album.

UCFish 02-08-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 13326324)

would u get mad? :D

smudge1 02-08-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 13326324)

It will be on the album and constant rotation at all shows.

Dankguitar 02-08-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper15 (Post 13326317)
This dude is the smartest person in this thread. I think Dave brought a bunch of completed songs into the studio which is why it isn't taking long to record this album. The band probably didn't have to do a ton of jamming and songwriting like they did for Big Whiskey which accelerates the recording process. The people who think this is "definitely a b-sides album" are fucking morons. If the band wanted to release a b-sides album they would just release all of the b-side tracks they recorded in the past and never released. Why the fuck would they record a new studio version of SUAD when they already have a shitload of takes they recorded in the past that they could release? Why come together to record old songs that you already have multiple recordings of? Bands don't spend months in a studio recording b-side albums. This is going to be an album of new material.

Thank you for agreeing. It's pretty clear that this band has never been great with writing material while on the road. With such an exhaustive schedule and spending so much time on tour buses it's gotta be a terrible environment for creating music. Dave has had peace and quiet and I truly am expecting some of his best work in a long time because FOR ONCE, he gave himself a break and the alone time to do so. Let me also add that we all realize that the band hates the studio. I am pretty sure that's nearly a fact. Think about how much pressure there is when you are in a room full of people and have to write songs from scratch? I realize a lot of bands do this but I just think it sounds like a really forced process. I really think think it forces songs to get completed way too quickly. Just because most of the members of DMB are incredibly talented musically does not mean that putting all of their minds together will make a better product. Let Dave do the writing and let the rest of the band come in and add their fills and tweaks to the songs that take them to a whole new level. Let's hope that that's what they've done this time

rickyh24 02-08-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudge1 (Post 13326374)
It will be on the album and constant rotation at all shows.

You are 50 percent right already.

AntzDigger7 02-08-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper15 (Post 13326317)

to the first bolded: way to act like a jackass yourself

to the second bolded: it has been done in this band's past multiple times.

to the third bolded: exactly, but they might spend 6 weeks in a studio recording b-side albums.

a wise man once said you were a jackass.

jasonfilatov 02-08-2012 04:44 PM

that would definitely explain why dave announced they would play new music in 2012. and you need to look up the definition of "proof"

CrashTheStone41 02-08-2012 04:48 PM

Don't you think the "room" they had on the 2010 could have replaced the studio setting... which means they were writing music while on tour for the last few years.

jaymas9 02-08-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntzDigger7 (Post 13326570)
to the first bolded: way to act like a jackass yourself

to the second bolded: it has been done in this band's past multiple times.

to the third bolded: exactly, but they might spend 6 weeks in a studio recording b-side albums.

a wise man once said you were a jackass.

This confuses me. What song that was intended for another studio album but wasn't put on it...was then subsequently re-recorded and put on a different studio album? If they were recording a b-side album of finished/nearly finished songs...I hope to god it wouldn't take 6 weeks.

J0siah716 02-08-2012 05:26 PM

I think youre straight up wrong. Dave said at one of the Caravans that he hopes to have NEW music next year. Sure maybe there will be one or two oldies but not an ENTIRE album

yanks7533 02-08-2012 05:39 PM

I mean big whiskey had no old ones and there were rumblings about there being sugar will etc on the album (which they did record but never made the album) I'd say between the mobile rehearsal studio they had in 2010, the freakin year off and a thing called the internet music was written and collaborated on in the last year or two.... they wouldn't call in lillywhite to rehash can't stop and break free (watch me bite my tongue in 3 months)

yanks7533 02-08-2012 05:47 PM

and as far as songwriting last year, hell dave wrote sweet the first night before Chicago, not to say sweet is epic but it kind of was a surprise to see dave was in a writing mood like that when they weren't touring or together the whole year, i tcould have been a sign the creative juices were flowing....we have no clue what he wrote, blackjack came out of nowhere even though it was up to 6 years old, but they worked on it again at some point

the band was in the studio making their next album in 2006 and VERY little was said about this, then all of a sudden the band almost broke up in 07. There have been times we did not know much at all...

gmoore4th 02-08-2012 05:50 PM

Lillywhite, please do something with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ONWld6TU-TQ

Jordan#41 02-08-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmoore4th (Post 13326757)

I love that little tune.

J0siah716 02-08-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmoore4th (Post 13326757)

This sounds awesome. Cant believe he's been coming up with ideas as far back as 09

ChiefLoMien 02-08-2012 06:08 PM

You guys are just crazy and need to be checked into the crazy house...