Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk (7.21.17) (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=341345)

javierm27 06-01-2016 02:19 PM

Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk (7.21.17)

"Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that principal photography on the epic action thriller “Dunkirk” is underway in Dunkirk, France. Christopher Nolan (“Interstellar,” “Inception,” “The Dark Knight” Trilogy) is directing “Dunkirk” from his own original screenplay, utilizing a mixture of IMAX® and 65mm film to bring the story to the screen. The production will shoot in France, Holland, the UK and Los Angeles.

“Dunkirk” opens as hundreds of thousands of British and Allied troops are surrounded by enemy forces. Trapped on the beach with their backs to the sea they face an impossible situation as the enemy closes in.

“Dunkirk” features a prestigious cast, including Tom Hardy (“The Revenant,” “Mad Max: Fury Road,” “Inception”), Mark Rylance (“Bridge of Spies,” “Wolf Hall”), Kenneth Branagh (“My Week with Marilyn,” “Hamlet,” “Henry V”) and Cillian Murphy (“Inception,” “The Dark Knight” Trilogy), as well as newcomer Fionn Whitehead. The ensemble cast also includes Aneurin Barnard, Harry Styles, James D’Arcy, Jack Lowden, Barry Keoghan and Tom Glynn-Carney.

The film is being produced by Nolan and Emma Thomas (“Interstellar,” “Inception,” “The Dark Knight” Trilogy). Jake Myers (“The Revenant,” “Interstellar,” “Jack Reacher”) is serving as executive producer.

The behind-the-scenes creative team includes director of photography Hoyte van Hoytema (“Interstellar,” “Spectre,” “The Fighter”), production designer Nathan Crowley (“Interstellar,” “The Dark Knight” Trilogy), editor Lee Smith (“The Dark Knight” Trilogy, “Elysium”), costume designer Jeffrey Kurland (“Inception,” “Bullets Over Broadway”), and visual effects supervisor Andrew Jackson (“Mad Max: Fury Road”).

Warner Bros. Pictures is distributing “Dunkirk” worldwide and has slated the film for a July 21, 2017 release."

http://www.slashfilm.com/dunkirk-set-photos-synopsis/

Completely fascinated by this one. It's probably my most anticipated film for 2017.

BotheLaneFan 06-01-2016 02:28 PM

Re: Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk (7.21.17)

Can't wait for an above-average action movie to be voted to the top 10 of IMDB by his fan boys and have assholes like me over criticize it! Should be fun!

javierm27 06-01-2016 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BothePrinceFan (Post 16446830)
Can't wait for an above-average action movie to be voted to the top 10 of IMDB by his fan boys and have assholes like me over criticize it! Should be fun!

Lol. All his movies are ahead of it's time, duh.

thebridge15 06-01-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

couldn't have said it better myself

Tiduwho 06-01-2016 02:50 PM

Hating on Nolan is now fashionable apparently lol wow :lol :lol

Tomriddle 06-01-2016 02:54 PM

Really looking forward to this one.

javierm27 06-01-2016 03:00 PM

I don't know if anyone saw the movie Atonement. But there is a scene at Dunkirk, after the battle, that was done in one shot, every time I see it, I'm amazed. I can't wait to see Nolan's take on what happened there.

hailtopitt 06-01-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiduwho (Post 16446849)

yea i don't get it

if you don't like his style or whatever, then fine. but don't hate on him because people overrate him. but i love him. i love that he adapts everything from original screenplays. i love that he has a hand in the writing and i love his directorial style

he's a gem in Hollywood and surrounded by super-hero, redux, regurgitated garbage

i'm excited for another Nolan project....flame away

javierm27 06-01-2016 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16446868)
yea i don't get it

if you don't like his style or whatever, then fine. but don't hate on him because people overrate him. but i love him. i love that he adapts everything from original screenplays. i love that he has a hand in the writing and i love his directorial style

he's a gem in Hollywood and surrounded by super-hero, redux, regurgitated garbage

:thumbsup I also love that he makes the most use of the IMAX cameras as well.

recentlyJTR41 06-01-2016 03:12 PM

Tom Hardy and Nolan?

Will definitely be seeing this

fridge112887 06-01-2016 03:25 PM

Harry Styles of One Direction. Uhhh :freak

TwoStep2888 06-01-2016 03:34 PM

love Nolan, love Hardy, this is a must-see

Tomriddle 06-01-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

yea i don't get it

You said it :thumbsup

javierm27 06-01-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

yea i don't get it

Meanwhile Bo already has his tickets to see the new Ghostbusters movie.

Tomriddle 06-01-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javierm27 (Post 16446819)
“Dunkirk” features a prestigious cast, including Tom Hardy (“The Revenant,” “Mad Max: Fury Road,” “Inception”), Mark Rylance (“Bridge of Spies,” “Wolf Hall”), Kenneth Branagh (“My Week with Marilyn,” “Hamlet,” “Henry V”) and Cillian Murphy (“Inception,” “The Dark Knight” Trilogy), as well as newcomer Fionn Whitehead. The ensemble cast also includes Aneurin Barnard, Harry Styles, James D’Arcy, Jack Lowden, Barry Keoghan and Tom Glynn-Carney.

Wait a minute, where the shit is Michael Caine? :eek :confused

RJ2kWJ 06-01-2016 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javierm27 (Post 16446862)
I don't know if anyone saw the movie Atonement. But there is a scene at Dunkirk, after the battle, that was done in one shot, every time I see it, I'm amazed. I can't wait to see Nolan's take on what happened there.

This.

A take on that entire confrontation should be amazing.

javierm27 06-01-2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomriddle (Post 16446939)
Wait a minute, where the shit is Michael Caine? :eek :confused

He is secretly playing a Nazi and will be revealed at the end, lol.

Dramageek 06-01-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

yea i don't get it

This. :thumbsup I'm a Nolan fanboy. I even liked Interstellar. I'm well aware that his movies are flawed and imperfect, but I enjoy his style. I'm excited for this. Sue me.

Though this seems like it might be fairly straightforward for a non-Batman Nolan movie. Where's the Inception-like puzzle box, time warp, short term memory loss and/or prestige-like reveal? :lol

KevinTH 06-01-2016 04:22 PM

What's overrated about a director that actually writes original screenplays and stories, and uses practical effects as much as he can in an industry filled with remakes and adaptations of shows and books? Granted his biggest claim to fame was based on one of the biggest superheroes around, but even that was a completely original take on the genre that no one had tried before. There's nothing overrated about Chris Nolan. In fact I'd argue that he's rather underrated. It's refreshing to have a director that doesn't adapt everything from a book or an old movie or show...despite that one big one ;-)

scrock25 06-01-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

:lol :lol

:thumbsup

Hell yeah, Bo.

scrock25 06-01-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

It has been for years :lol

scrock25 06-01-2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

yea i don't get it

Troof!!!

Dramageek 06-01-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 16446983)
What's overrated about a director that actually writes original screenplays and stories, and uses practical effects as much as he can in an industry filled with remakes and adaptations of shows and books? Granted his biggest claim to fame was based on one of the biggest superheroes around, but even that was a completely original take on the genre that no one had tried before. There's nothing overrated about Chris Nolan. In fact I'd argue that he's rather underrated. It's refreshing to have a director that doesn't adapt everything from a book or an old movie or show...despite that one big one ;-)

Teh fanboyeeezzz proclaim him the second-coming of the Jesus, and others think it's a bit much. I generally agree with you though. :thumbsup

javierm27 06-01-2016 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ2kWJ (Post 16446971)
This.

A take on that entire confrontation should be amazing.

Makes me want to see the movie again.

Here is a video of it on youtube, so damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

thebridge15 06-01-2016 04:32 PM

I like his style enough but original screenplay does nothing for me when the dialogue is as bad as it is most of the time

Dramageek 06-01-2016 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebridge15 (Post 16446993)
I like his style enough but original screenplay does nothing for me when the dialogue is as bad as it is most of the time

To me this is his biggest flaw. His characters sometimes talk in ideas rather than normal human dialogue. This detracts from character development.

Still love his movies, though.

BotheLaneFan 06-01-2016 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javierm27 (Post 16446936)
Meanwhile Bo already has his tickets to see the new Ghostbusters movie.

I have a book I read monthly called "Men Are Better Than Women". How dare you insult me like this.

RJ2kWJ 06-01-2016 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javierm27 (Post 16446990)
Makes me want to see the movie again.

Here is a video of it on youtube, so damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

Nolan is going to run with this.

Some popcorn salt my find its way to my eyes during the horse scene.

junior94 06-01-2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

actually it feels like that's been the case for quite awhile now, unfortunately

javierm27 06-01-2016 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ2kWJ (Post 16447008)
Nolan is going to run with this.

Some popcorn salt my find its way to my eyes during the horse scene.

Yeah, I have no doubt about that.

I know the feeling, the composer took it to the next level there as well, which adds to the popcorn salt. I hope Zimmer does the score for this too, his music on The Thin Red Line is magic.